This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Equipment for Measuring Forces and Moments on Passenger Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new machine for measuring tire engineering parameters is described. The machine measures forces and moments on a deflected, rolling tire as functions of slip angle, camber angle, and deflection. Ease of tire mounting, simple operation, and convenient data collection are important features of this machine. Typical measurements of cornering force, aligning torque, enveloping forces, and nonuniformity are presented.
CitationTarpinian, H., "Equipment for Measuring Forces and Moments on Passenger Tires," SAE Technical Paper 690077, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690077.
- Evans R. D. “Properties of Tires Affecting Riding, Steering and Handling,” SAE J. 36 February 1935
- Bull A. W. “Tire Behavior in Steering,” SAE J. 45 February 1939
- Milliken W. F. et al. “Research in Automobile Stability and Control and in Tire Performance.” IME 1956
- Robson J. J. “High Speed Cornering Forces.” SAE Golden Anniversary Summer Meeting Atlantic City, N. J. June 1955
- Kollmann K. “New Testing Machines for the Study of Tires,” Revue Generale du Caoutchouc October 1959
- Ginn J. L. Miller R. F. Marlowe R. L. Heimovics J. F. “The B. F. Goodrich Tire Dynamics Machine.” Paper 490B SAE National Automobile Week Meeting Detroit, Mich. 1962
- Lippmann S. A. “New Equipment for Exploring the Dynamic Behavior of Tires.” 1965 SAE Trans. 73 79 86
- Nordeen D. L. Cortese A. D. “Force and Moment Characteristics of Rolling Tires.” SAE Preprint 713A June 1963 SAE Trans. 72 1964
- Edwards S. G. “A Transducer for the Dynamic Measurement of Forces and Moments Produced at the Front Wheel of an Automobile.” Paper No. K-6 Acoustical Society of America, Ann Arbor Meeting Nov. 7, 1963