This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Future Electric Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The economics involved in achieving pollution-free vehicles, as projected through the end of the century for both exhaust-suppressed combustion engines and electric powerplants, points to battery-operated cars as ultimately the less expensive means of curbing automotive emissions. However, it is predicted that all-electrics will outnumber combustion-engine vehicles after the start of the 21st Century, at the earliest, and then only at the price of mediocre top speeds and performance when using nonhazardous batteries.
Unlimited range electric cars will become possible with the rapid replacement of depleted batteries at service stations, eliminating the need for recharging at home by drivers. To close the 30-year gap between quantity production of all-combustion and all-battery automobiles, a hybrid vehicle concept is described, whose power system consists of a small turbine, generator, electric motor and batteries.
CitationHoffman, G., "Future Electric Cars," SAE Technical Paper 690073, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690073.
- Ganz A. “Emerging Patterns of Urban Growth and Travel.” Proceedings of the 47th Annual Meeting of the Highway Research Board Washington January 1968
- Sweet A. H. Steigerwald B. J. Ludwig J. H. “The Need for a Pollution-Free Vehicle.” Jrl. Air Pollution Control Association 18 2 February 1968 111 113
- Hoffman G. A. “Hybrid Power Systems for Vehicles.” Power Systems for Electric Vehicles 1967 27 42
- Hoffman G. A. “The Electric Automobile.” Scientific American 215 4 34 40
- Swinkels D. A. J. “Electrochemical Vehicle Powerplants.” Paper 680452 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting May 1968
- Richardson N. A. Gelb G. H. Wang T. C. Licari J. A. “System Design Implications of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles.” Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Boulder August 15 1968
- Demetri E. P. “Heat-Exchanger Optimization for a Regenerative Small Gas Turbine Cycle.” ASME paper 68-GT-18 March 1968
- Pierro J. J. “Characteristics of Solid Rotor Synchronous Generators for Space Applications.” IEEE paper No. 31 66 512 July 1966
- Slabiak W. Collins G. C. “Brushless Synchronous Propulsion Motor.” Paper 680455 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting May 1968