This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Modern Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Experience to the Design of Boilers for Automotive Steam Powerplants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Developments in boilers and other types of heat transfer equipment in recent years have improved our understanding of the heat transfer and fluid flow phenomena involved. These developments are reviewed, and their implications relative to the design of boilers for modern automotive steam powerplants are considered. A new approach to automotive boiler design, intended to exploit these new concepts, is suggested. This entails the use of a recirculating boiler with a regenerator, a combination that should reduce the size, weight, and cost of the boiler as well as increase the thermal efficiency of the powerplant. A design procedure is proposed.
|Technical Paper||General Motors' Steam-Powered Passenger Cars - Emissions, Fuel Economy and Performance|
|Technical Paper||ELECTRICALLY-CONTROLLED STEAM AUTOMOBILES|
|Technical Paper||The Design Features of the GM SE-101 - A Vapor-Cycle Powerplant|
CitationFraas, A., "Application of Modern Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Experience to the Design of Boilers for Automotive Steam Powerplants," SAE Technical Paper 690047, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690047.
- The Babcock & Wilcox Company ““ Steam: Its Generation and Use.” New York George McKibbin & Son 1955
- Fraas A. P. Necati Ozisik M. “Heat Exchanger Design.” New York John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1965
- Robinson R. A. et al. “Isotope Kilowatt Program Interum Report.” Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- AIAA Specialists Conference on Rankine Space Power Systems I Oct. 26–28 1965
- Farber E. A. Scorah, R. L. “Heat Transfer to Water Boiling Under Pressure.” Trans. ASME 70 1948 369
- Polomik, E. E. Levy, S. Sawochka, S. G. “Heat Transfer Coefficients with Annular Flow During Once-Through Boiling of Water of 100% Quality at 800, 1100, and 1400 psi.” J. Heat Transfer, Trans. ASME 86 2 1964 81
- Fraas A. P. “Design Considerations and Proposed Designs for Steam Turbine-Generator Units for Terrestrial Power Plants of 30 Kw(e) to 2 Mw (e).” Laboratory Oak Ridge National June 1967