This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Air Cleaner Design — Present and Future
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This report records applicable current theory and discusses present and future design parameters of the major categories of automotive air cleaner products, highlighting the factors that optimize product performance. A new bench test for quantitative laboratory evaluation of air cleaner silencing is introduced and discussed.
CitationSherburn, P., "Air Cleaner Design — Present and Future," SAE Technical Paper 690007, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690007.
- McClelland J. E. and Billett, S. M. “Filter Life Versus Engine Wear.” SAE Trans., Vol. 74 (1966) paper 650866.
- Thomas G. E. and Culbert, R. M. “Ingested Dust, Filters and Direct Engine Ring Wear.” Paper 680536, presented at SAE West Coast Meeting, San Francisco, August 1968.
- Watson, C. E. Hanly, F. J. and Burchell, R. W. “Abrasive Wear of Piston Rings.” Paper presented at SAE Annual Meeting, Detroit, January 1955.
- Manby, T. C. D. “Air Filtration for Engines Operating Under Dusty Conditions.” Paper presented to Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1964.
- Heywood, H. “Filter Efficiency and Standardization of Test Dust.” Paper presented to Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1952.
- Fairchild, D. “Heavy Duty Engine Filtration Systems.” Paper 734C presented at SAE Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting, Milwaukee, September 1963.
- Davies, C. N. “The Separation of Air-borne Dust and Particles.” Paper presented to Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1951.
- Guignard, J. C. “Human Response to Intense Low Frequency Noise and Vibration.” Paper presented to Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1967.
- Caplan, J. D. “Causes and Control of Automotive Emissions.” Paper presented to Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1963.
- Newhall H. K. and Starkman, E. S. “Direct Spectroscopic Determination of Nitric Oxide in Reciprocating Engine Cylinder.” SAE Trans., Vol. 76, paper 670122.
- California Air Resources Board Bulletin, Vol. 1, No. 9.
- Federal Register, National Archives of the United States, Vol. 33, No. 108.
- Farnan E. H. and Weber, J. A. “Some Factors Affecting Dry Air Cleaner Efficiency.” Paper presented to SAE National Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting, Milwaukee, September 1960.
- Turner H. M. and Mund, M. G. “Self Cleaning Air Cleaners -- Option or Mandate.” Paper S424, presented at SAE Earthmoving Industry Conference, Peoria, Ill., April 1965.
- Montgomery J. E. and Faehn, D. D. “High Performance Air Cleaners for the U.S. Army’s Industrial Gas Turbines.” Paper 880B presented at SAE Summer Meeting, Chicago, June 1964.