This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Static Deformation and Volume Changes in the Human Skull
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three human male cadaver heads were statically loaded along anteroposterior, posterioanterior, side to side, and vertex to base lines of action, while simultaneously measuring skull deflections at four or five locations and intracranial volume changes. Volume changes due to loading along the long (A-P) axis were small and either increased or decreased, while loads transverse to the A-P axis decreased the volume. Transverse loads produced volume changes on the order of 10 times larger than those due to A-P forces. Two skulls loaded to fracture in the A-P direction, failed at 1150 and 2200 lb, respectively, into the right orbit. These magnitudes and linear fracture direction correspond to four fractures produced by impact to the frontal bone of intact cadavers in previous work.
CitationThomas, L., Sezgin, Y., Hodgson, V., Cheng, L. et al., "Static Deformation and Volume Changes in the Human Skull," SAE Technical Paper 680782, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680782.
- Unterhamscheidt F. and Sellier, K. “Mechanics and Pathomorphology of Closed Brain Injuries.” Head Injury Conference Proceedings, 1966.
- Gross, A. G. “A New Theory on the Dynamics of Brain Concussion and Brain Injury.” Jrl. of Neurosurg., Vol. 15, 1958, pp. 548–561.
- Gurjian, E. S. Lissner, H. R. Latimer, F. R. Haddad, B. F. and Webster, J. E. “Quantitative Determination of Acceleration and Intracranial Pressure in Experimental Head Injury.” Neurology, Vol. 3, June1953, pp. 417–423.
- Hodgson, V. R. “Head Impact Response of Several Mammals Including the Human Cadaver.” Dissertation, Office of Graduate Studies, Wayne State University, June1968.
- Sellier K. and Unterhamscheidt, F. “The Mechanics of the Impact of Violence on the Skull.” Excerpta Medica International Congress Series No. 110, Proceedings of lllrd International Congress of Neurological Surgery, Copenhagen, August1965, pp. 87–92.
- Gurdjian, E. S. Gonzalez, D. Hodgson, V. R. Thomas L. M. and Greenberg, S. W. “Comparisons of Research in Inanimate and Biologic Material. Artifacts and Pitfalls.” Wayne State University, Biomechanics Symposium on Impact Injury and Crash Protection, May1968.
- Hodgson, V. R. “Tolerance of the Facial Bones to Impact.” American Jrl. of Anatomy, Vol. 120, January,1967, pp. 113–122.