This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Static Deformation and Volume Changes in the Human Skull
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three human male cadaver heads were statically loaded along anteroposterior, posterioanterior, side to side, and vertex to base lines of action, while simultaneously measuring skull deflections at four or five locations and intracranial volume changes. Volume changes due to loading along the long (A-P) axis were small and either increased or decreased, while loads transverse to the A-P axis decreased the volume. Transverse loads produced volume changes on the order of 10 times larger than those due to A-P forces. Two skulls loaded to fracture in the A-P direction, failed at 1150 and 2200 lb, respectively, into the right orbit. These magnitudes and linear fracture direction correspond to four fractures produced by impact to the frontal bone of intact cadavers in previous work.
CitationThomas, L., Sezgin, Y., Hodgson, V., Cheng, L. et al., "Static Deformation and Volume Changes in the Human Skull," SAE Technical Paper 680782, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680782.
- Unterhamscheidt F. Sellier, K. “Mechanics and Pathomorphology of Closed Brain Injuries.” Head Injury Conference Proceedings 1966
- Gross, A. G. “A New Theory on the Dynamics of Brain Concussion and Brain Injury.” Jrl. of Neurosurg. Vol. 15 1958 548 561
- Gurjian, E. S. Lissner, H. R. Latimer, F. R. Haddad, B. F. Webster, J. E. “Quantitative Determination of Acceleration and Intracranial Pressure in Experimental Head Injury.” Neurology Vol. 3 June 1953 417 423
- Hodgson, V. R. “Head Impact Response of Several Mammals Including the Human Cadaver.” Dissertation Office of Graduate Studies, Wayne State University June 1968
- Sellier K. Unterhamscheidt, F. “The Mechanics of the Impact of Violence on the Skull.” Excerpta Medica International Congress Series No. 110, Proceedings of lllrd International Congress of Neurological Surgery Copenhagen August 1965 87 92
- Gurdjian, E. S. Gonzalez, D. Hodgson, V. R. Thomas L. M. Greenberg, S. W. “Comparisons of Research in Inanimate and Biologic Material. Artifacts and Pitfalls.” Wayne State University Biomechanics Symposium on Impact Injury and Crash Protection May 1968
- Hodgson, V. R. “Tolerance of the Facial Bones to Impact.” American Jrl. of Anatomy Vol. 120 January, 1967 113 122