This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Design for Passenger Protection from High-Speed Rear-End Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Scientific methodology and engineering techniques were applied to a series of three automobile rear-end collision experiments to provide data relating to seat, seat backrest, and head-restraint design. Five seat back heights and four seat back strength values were studied in connection with their practicality and relative protective features, when subjected to a 55 mph rear-end collision exposure. These research data provide a basic reference system of high-speed collision performance for seat designs with respect to occupant size and proximity to injury producing structures. Additionally, methodology, instrumentation, and related equipment required for post-crash fire studies were included in experiment 106, providing what is believed to be the first published data on the precise time-related events associated with collision-induced passenger car fires. Design revisions suggested by these findings are discussed.
|Technical Paper||Collision Performance, LM Safety Car|
|Technical Paper||Safer Seat Designs|
|Technical Paper||Study of Seat and Head-Support Performance During Full-Scale Rear-End Collisions|
CitationSevery, D., Brink, H., and Baird, J., "Vehicle Design for Passenger Protection from High-Speed Rear-End Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 680774, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680774.
- Severy D. M. Mathewson J. H. Bechtol C. O. “Controlled Automobile Rear-End Collisions - - An Investigation of Related Engineering and Medical Phenomena, Series I.” Canadian Service Medical Journal XI November 1955 727 759
- Severy D. M. Mathewson J. H. “Automobile Barrier and Rear-End Collision Performance.” Paper 62C SAE Summer Meeting Atlantic City, N.J. June 1958
- Severy D. M. Brink H. M. Baird J. D. “Collision Performance LM Safety Car.” Paper 670458 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1967
- Severy D. M. Brink H. M. Baird J. D. “School Bus Passenger Protection.” SAE Transactions 76 1968 paper 670040
- Severy D. M. Brink H. M. Baird J. D. “Backrest and Head Restraint Design for Rear- End Collision Protection.” Paper 680079 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Severy D. M. Mathewson J. H. Siegel A. W. “Automotive Side-Impact Collisions, Series II.” SP-232 National Automobile Week Detroit March 1962
- Severy D. M. “Collision Performance of the Motorist's Compartment.” University of Michigan Medical School and Highway Safety Research Institute Sesquicentennial Symposium on “The Prevention of Highway Injury,” April 1967 Ann Arbor, Mich Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan
- Severy D. M. Brink H. M. “Safety Glass Breakage by Motorists during Collisions.” Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press 1966
- Severy D. M. Snowden W. H. “A Review of the State of Knowledge and Research Concerning Laminated and Tempered Safety Glass in Motor Vehicles.” Institute of Transportation and Traffic Engineering, University of California 1962
- Webb P. “Bioastronautics Data Book.” Scientific and Technical Information Division, National Aeronautics and Space Administration Washington, D. C. 1964