This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Beryllium: Brazing and Welding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Practical uses of beryllium assemblies in meeting current critical aerospace and nuclear requirements are discussed.
Emphasis is placed upon braze joining structural components and effective manufacturing methods. Recent technological advancements in metallurgical bonding of beryllium make possible fabrications heretofore not considered as feasible.
Brazing, braze welding, and fusion welding of beryllium to itself and to dissimilar metals is evaluated by reference to specific applications. Brazing receives prime consideration as it is the most versatile and widely used metallurgical joining process.
|Technical Paper||Beryllium Brazing Technology|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Nickel Alloy, Brazing Filler Metal 73Ni - 0.75C - 4.5Si - 14Cr - 3.1B - 4.5Fe 1790 °F (977 °C) Solidus to 1970 °F (1077 °C) Liquidus|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Nickel Alloy, Brazing Filler Metal 82Ni - 4.5Si - 7.0Cr - 3.1B - 3.0Fe 1780 °F (971 °C) Solidus to 1830 °F (999 °C) Liquidus Range|
CitationLong, J. and Cremer, G., "Beryllium: Brazing and Welding," SAE Technical Paper 680651, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680651.
- Williams R. F. Ingels S. E. “The Fabrication of Beryllium.” NASA Technical Memorandum X-53453 I-VI July 1966
- Crawford R. F. Burns A. B. “Strength, Efficiency, and Design Data for Beryllium Structures.” ASD Technical Report 61-692 February 1962 Lockheed Missiles & Space Co.
- Williamson D. “Beryllium Technology and Application.” SAWE Conference New Orleans May 1968
- “Brazing Manual.” American Welding Society, Inc. 1963
- Kelly R. N. “Beryllium Structures.” Space/Aeronautics July 1964 64 73
- Personal communication, Bryce King, The Brush Beryllium Co. Cleveland, Ohio.
- Terry E. L. Smith B. L. Hallinan M. “Summary and Discussion of Joint Design Data for Beryllium Aerospace Structures.” Beryllium Technology 2 Philadelphia 1964 33 Gordon and Breach, Science Publishers
- Solar Div. International Harvester Co., for U. S. Air Force
- Solar Div. International Harvester Co.
- “Berylco Briefs.” 1 6 1968
- Geertz L. Economou G. et al “Lightweight Optical Materials and Techniques.” Technical Report AFAL-TR-66-244 June 1967 Fecker Div. Owens-Illinois Glass Corp.
- Scott D. G. “Beryllium Welding and Brazing at the Oak Ridge Y-12 Plant.” Document Y-DA-2427 July 5 1968
- Weismantel E. E. Taber K. C. “Practical Aspects of Brazing Beryllium Metal.” Welding Journal December 1964
- King D. B. Conliffe C. H. Marble J. D. “Beryllium for Gas Turbines.” Paper 801C Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1964
- Pattee H. E. Evans R. M. Monroe R. E. “The Joining of Dissimilar Metals.” DMIC Report S-16 January 1968
- Krusos J. N. Kjelby A. S. Borosic J. Eck F. B. “Fabrication and Properties of Beryllium-Faced Sandwich Structures.” Materials Research & Standards 3 10 October 1963
- Missel L. Titus R. K. “Electron Window,” Electronic Packaging and Production January 1968
- Cremer G. D. Woodward J. R. Grant L. A. “Beryllium Brazing Technology.” SAE Transactions 76 1968 2439 2453
- “Beryllium as a Heat Sink.” The Brush Beryllium Co. Cleveland April 1 1968
- Ingels S. E. Kinney W. H. “Forming and Mechanical Joining Criteria for Beryllium Structures.” SAE Transactions 76 1968 2424 2438
- Porembka S. W. Hanes H. D. Gripshover P. J. “Powder Metallurgy of Beryllium.” DMIC Report 239 October 15 1967
- Hausner H. H. “Beryllium, Its Metallurgy and Properties.” 1965
- Schilling S. A. “Beryllium.” Engineering & Mining Journal March 1968 128 130
- Frankeny J. L. Floyd D. R. “Ingot-Sheet Beryllium Fabrication,” RFP-910, UC-25 Metals, Ceramics, and Materials, TID-4500 February 9 1968
- Long J. V. Cremer G. D. “Brazing Bonanza.” ASM National Metal Congress Cleveland October 1967
- “Beryllium Ingot Sheet.” Technical Bulletin No. 2210 by the Beryllium Corp.
- Kojola K. L. “Summary of Current Beryllium Research—Air Force Opinion on its Implications Towards Future Developments.” SAE Aeronautic and Space Engineering and Manufacturing Meeting Los Angeles October 1967
- Weismantel E. E. Tabor K. C. “The Soldering of Beryllium Metal.” Welding Journal Research Supplement February 1964
- Monroe R. E. Martin D. C. Voldrich C. B. “Welding and Brazing of Beryllium to Itself and to Other Metals.” BMI-836, Battelle Memorial Institute, Contract W-7405-eng-92 May 1953
- Brundige E. L. Kirby R. S. Hanks G. S. Taub J. M. “Welding of Beryllium,” Welding Journal, 38 (10), 410s-413s October 1959
- Eaton N. F. Skinner J. Martin A. J. “The Joining of Beryllium.” Welding and Metal Fabrication 28 2 46 52 February 1960
- McDonnald T. J. Eaton N. F. Wright D. B. “Fusion Welding of Beryllium,” British Welding Journal 7 7 441 450 July 1960
- Private communication Monroe R. E. Materials Joining Technology Div.; Dan Hauser research engineer, Battelle Memorial Inst., Columbus Labs
- Marcellin W. J. “Automatic and Manual Braze Welding Techniques for Beryllium.” Conference on the Metallurgy of Beryllium - The Institute of Metals London October 1961
- Hicken G. K. Sample W. B. “Joining Beryllium by an Electron Beam Braze Welding Technique,” Welding Journal 32 12 541s 550s December 1967
- Hauser D. Monroe R. E. “Electron-Beam Welding of Beryllium - II.” Technical Report AFML-TR-66-215, Part II, Air Force Contract AF33(615)-2671 Battelle Memorial Institute October 1967
- Westland E. F. Lohmann H. G. “Vapor Plating on Beryllium for Welding.” Welding Journal 46 3 207 210 March 1967
- Kern W. I. Lubin L. E. “Electron-Beam Welding of Aerospace Materials.” ASD-TDR-63-132, Contract No. AF33(652)-7763, Hamilton Standard February 1963
- Donald G. Scott “Beryllium Welding and Brazing at the Oak Ridge Y-12 Plant,” Document: Y-DA-2427 July 5 1968
- MacPherson B. M. Beaver W. W. “How to Fusion Weld Beryllium.” Welding Journal 41 4 327 330 April 1962
- Private communication: Bryce King, vice president, Product Development The Brush Beryllium Co. Cleveland
- Private communication Hicken G. K. R&D Joining, The Dow Chemical Co., Rocky Flats Div. Golden, Colo.
- Private communication “Precipitation in Electron Beam Welded Beryllium Ingot Sheet.” Fraikor F. J. Hicken G. K. Grotzky V. K. The Dow Chemical Co. Rocky Flats Div. Golden, Colo.
- “Summary of Beryllium Research and Development Programs.” DMIC Report S-15 June 30 1967
- King J. P. Jr. Robelotto R. P. Dillingham A. C. Jr. “Diffusion Bonding of Titanium and Beryllium.” Contract AF33(615)-3047, North American Rockwell Corp. 1966-1968
- Moss R. G. “Review of Beryllium Technology for Spacecraft Applications.” NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, TM 33-365 November 1 1967
- Passmore E. M. “Fusion Welding of Beryllium.” Welding Research Supplement, Welding Journal 43 3 116s 125s March 1964
- Gilliland R. G. Slaughter G. M. “Fusion Welding of End Caps in Beryllium Tubes.” Welding Journal 42 1 29 36 January 1963