This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Planning a Product
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The product planning process has been highly developed in the automotive industry. It involves some consideration of nearly all the various functions of a business. The emphasis in this paper is on the aspects of product planning which are usually outside the engineers direct responsibility.
Implicit in the process are: forecasting technological and economic changes that will affect the future product and its market, developing product and program objectives by design and by analysis, and monitoring and controlling the program to insure that the objectives are met.
This paper examines one systematic approach using a case history to illustrate the manner in which the task can be organized as well as some of the specific techniques which can be used. The treatment is intended to provide a framework of reference and to suggest avenues for further study.
CitationRaviolo, V., "Planning a Product," SAE Technical Paper 680509, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680509.
- Drucker Peter F., “Managing for Results.” New York: Harper & Row, 1964.
- Schoderbek Peter B. and Digman Lester A., “Third Generation PERT/LOB.” Harvard Business Review, September/October 1967.
- , “DOD and NASA Guide to PERT/Cost.” Washington, D. C.: U. S. Govt. Printing Office, 1962.
- Gilmore Frank F. and Brandenburg Richard, “Anatomy of Corporate Planning.” Harvard Business Review, November/December 1962.
- Hamburg Morris and Atkins Robert J., “Computer Model for New Product Demand.” Harvard Business Review, March/April 1967.
- Dean Joel, “Managerial Economics.” Englewood, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1951.
- Raustenrauch Walter and Villiers Raymond, “The Economics of Industrial Management.” New York: Funk & Wagnalls, 1957 (2nd Ed.).
- Magee John F., “Decision Trees for Decision Making.” Harvard Business Review, July/August 1964.