This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
“Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing”
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing is both a “language” and a “technique.” Its objective is to facilitate design, production, and inspection and, simultaneously, provide the most economic results. This paper describes the implementation and practice to accomplish these through illustrating methods to state design requirements specifically and clearly and to provide for maximum producibility, uniformity of interpretation, etc. The need to reflect a common objective for design, production, and inspection via the stated drawing requirement is emphasized. Application and interpretation of geometric characteristics (emphasizing symbology), fundamentals, rules, etc. are presented. Basis for the content of this paper is USASI Y14.5-1966 “Dimensioning and Tolerancing for Engineering Drawings.”
CitationFoster, L., "“Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing”," SAE Technical Paper 680488, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680488.
- “Dimensioning and Tolerancing for Engineering Drawings,” United States Standard USASI Y14.5-1966. New York American Society of Mechanical Engineers and United States of America Standards Institute
- “SAE Aerospace - Automotive Drawing Standards,” (Sections A6, A7, and A8) New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1963
- “Military Standard Dimensioning and Tolerancing,” 16 October 1963 Department of Defense, Standardization Division, Defense Supply Agency Washingtion, D.C.
- “Dimensioning and Notes,” American Standard ASA Y14.5-1957 New York American Society of Mechanical Engineers Document now obsolete.
- “Concepts of the True Position Dimensioning System,” Sandia Corp. Albuquerque, N.M. Central Scientific Co. Chicago, Illinois
- “True Position Dimensioning,” Bibeau and Sweet 1959 1962 Scintilla Div., Bendix Aviation Corp.
- Foster Lowell W. * “A Treatise on Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing,” 1966 Feburary 1968 Honeywell Inc.