This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Recent Advancements in Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A materials technology explosion which has occurred over the past 15 years embraces many fields and many new concepts. This paper discusses in detail materials advancement in the automotive field, with particular emphasis on structure, styling, and economy.
Items mentioned are the 1968 GTO Endura bumper, use of ABS plastics for front and exterior grilles, as well as use of plastics in other applications, such as timing belt covers, engine fan shrouds, and use of olefins in the fender skirts and radiator fillers. Also covered is the application of nodular iron, malleable iron, and powdered metals in crankshafts, connecting rods, and other metallic applications.
Although impossible to test quality into a product, continued emphasis on process and material control must be maintained to assure manufacturing economy, product performance, and customer satisfaction.
|Technical Paper||Advanced Material Technologies — A Key Factor for Ultimate Driving Performance|
|Technical Paper||Gas Turbine Sand and Dust Effects and Protection Methods|
|Journal Article||Advanced Materials for Aerospace and Space Applications|
CitationMcCullough, D., "Recent Advancements in Materials," SAE Technical Paper 680239, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680239.
- Metals/Materials Today, December 1967, p. 27.
- Metal Progress, November 1967, p. 7.
- Metal Progress, November 1967, p. 47.
- Materials Engineering, October 1967, p. 40.
- Chemical Engineering, Vol. 74, No. 12, June 5, 1967, p. 20.
- Materials Engineering, November 1967, p. 38.
- Materials Engineering, October 1967, p. 53.
- Materials Engineering, November 1967, p. 30.
- Levine, S. N. Materials Engineering, July 1967, p. 64.
- Steel, Oct. 23, 1967, p. 35.
- Madden, J. R. SPE Detroit Section, May 16, 1967.
- Automotive News, Nov. 27, 1967, p. 12.
- Foundry, January 1968, p. 9.
- McGlew, R. duPont Magazine, September-October 1967, p. 2.
- Journal American Ceramic Society, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1964, p. 215.