This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Tape Recording and Computer Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of a high speed, multichannel data acquisition system is described. A precision magnetic tape recorder is used to record analog data from highly transient phenomena. Analog-to-digital data conversion is performed on a hybrid computer and the digitized data is processed using large, high speed digital computers.
A detailed example of the application of the system to the measurement of rates-of-injection, rates-of-heat release, and instantaneous rates-of-heat transfer from the cylinder gases to the cylinder walls in a high speed open-chamber diesel engine is presented.
CitationLe Feuvre, T., Myers, P., Uyehara, O., and Shipinski, J., "A Tape Recording and Computer Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data," SAE Technical Paper 680133, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680133.
- Marshall W. R. “Annual Report, Engineering Experiment Station.” Univ. of Wisconsin 1965-66
- Shipinski J. H. “Relationships Between Rates-of-Injection and Rates-of-Heat Release in Diesel Engines.” Ph.D. Thesis Mech. Engr. Dept., Univ. of Wisc 1967
- Chen S. K. Flynn P. “IH-LABECO High BMEP Single Cylinder Research Engine.” SAE Paper Cleveland Oct. 1965
- Bendersky D. “A Special Thermocouple for Measuring Transient Temperatures.” Mechanical Engineering 75 1953 117
- Overbye V. D. Bennethum J. E. Uyehara O. A. Myers P. S. “Unsteady Heat Transfer in Engines.” Trans. SAE 69 1961 461
- Ebersole G. D. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “The Radiant and Convective Components of Diesel Engine Heat Transfer.” SAE Paper 701C 1963
- McCullough J. D. “Engine Cylinder Pressure Measurements.” SAE Trans 61 1953 557 573
- Hempson J. “Instrumentation Problems of Internal Combustion Engine Development.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engr. (AD) 3 1961-62 81
- Alyea J. “The Development and Application of an Electric Indicated Horsepower Meter.” Ph.D. Thesis Mechanical Engineering Univ. of Wisconsin 1968
- Austen A. E. W. Lyn W. T. “Relation Between Fuel Injection and Heat Release in a Direct-Injection Engine.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engr. 1960-61 47 62
- Bennett C. A. Franklin N. L. “Statistical Analysis in Chemistry and the Chemical Industry.” New York Wiley 1954
- Borman G. L. “Mathematical Simulation of Internal Combustion Engine Processes and Performance Including Comparisons with Experiment.” Ph.D Thesis Mech. Engr. Dept. Univ. of Wis. 1964 CAE Report No. 954 Detroit Arsenal August 1964
- Krieger R. B. Borman G. L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines.” ASME Paper 66-WA/DGP4 Annual Winter Meeting Nov. 1966
- Wiebe I. “Halbempirische Formel fur die Verbren-nungsgeschwindigkeit.” Moskau Akademie der Wissenschaften der VdSSR 1956
- Carslaw H. S. Jaeger J. C. “Conduction of Heat in Solids.” Second Oxford Clarendon Press 1959
- Sokolnikoff I. S. Sokolnikoff E. S. “Higher Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists.” New York McGraw-Hill 1941 545 548
- Hamming R. W. “Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers.” New York McGraw-Hill 1962
- Shannon C. E. “Communications in the Presence of Noise,” Proc. IRE 37 Jan 1949 10 21
- Blackman R. B. Tukey J. W. “The Measurement of Power Spectra.” New York Dover 1959
- Flynn P. Private Communication 1967
- Mc Leod J. Simulation 6 March 1966 138 140
- Knight B. E. “Communication on the Performance of a Type of Swirl Atomizer.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engr. 1955 104 105
- Wakuri Y. Fujii M. Amitani T. Tsuneya R. “Studies of the Penetration of Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine.” Bulletin of J.S.M.E 3 9 1960 123
- McAulay K. J. Wu T. Chen S. K. Borman G. L. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Development and Evaluation of the Simulation of the Compression-Ignition Engine.” SAE Paper No. 650451 Chicago May 1965
- Uyehara O. A. Myers P. S. “Diesel Combustion Temperatures - Influence of Fuels of Selected Composition.” SAE Trans. 1949