This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thread Engagement in Cast Iron
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A design guide for bolt engagement in cast iron has been developed. The design engagements are sufficient to insure that if a bolt is overloaded and failure occurs, either at assembly or in service, the bolt will break rather than strip the bolt or cast iron threads. In addition to the design guide, this report presents information concerning:
The ratio of gray cast iron shear strength to tensile strength.
The ratio of shear strength to tensile strength for SAE Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts.
|Technical Paper||Cast Iron Thread Strength|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Mechanical and Material Requirements for One Piece Wheel Nuts|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Quality Assurance Sampling of Bolts and Screws|
CitationParisen, J., "Thread Engagement in Cast Iron," SAE Technical Paper 680130, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680130.
- Marin Joseph “Engineering Materials - Their Mechanical Properties and Applications.” Englewood Cliffs, N. J. Prentice Hall Inc. 85 134 137
- Screw Threads SAE J457a, SAE Standard
- Elliott G. K “A Shearing Test for Gray Cast Iron.” Transactions American Foundrymen's Association 34 1926 858 869
- Rother W. H. “A Shearing Test for Gray Cast Iron” A Written Discussion, Transactions American Foundrymen's Association 34 1926 869 870
- Jolley W. “The Shear Test - Not A Satisfactory Test for Cast Iron.” Foundry Trade Journal April 4 1929 247 248
- Bolton W. J. “On Research Problems of the Gray Iron Foundry.” Transactions American Foundrymen's Society 36 1928 497 The Foundry Sept. 1 1930 96 97
- Proceedings of ASTM 33 1933 97 99
- Donaldson W. J. “Mechanical and Physical Properties of High Duty and Alloy Cast Iron.” Foundry Trade Journal 63 Aug. 29 1940 142
- Proceedings of ASTM 33 1933 176
- Metals Handbook 1 8th 1961 354 356
- Piwowarsky E. “Manufacture of High Test Gray Iron.” Transactions American Foundrymen's Association 42 1934 705 736
- Alloy Cast Iron Handbook 88 89