This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Legislative Effect on Brake Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent changes in brake regulations in may countries have given the brake engineer new problems to solve. Some of these, concerning hot brake performance, dual brake systems, and directional stability, are analyzed, and an example given of a brake specification which meets the present standards in the U. S., the European continent, and Sweden.
CitationVallin, E., "Legislative Effect on Brake Design," SAE Technical Paper 680017, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680017.
- Mackenzie D. K., Newcombe T. P., and Watton B., “Car Brake Usage and Test Schedules.” Inst. Mech. Engineers, Automobile Div. 17 d PI (a)/63.
- Mackenzie D. K., Newcombe T. P., and Watton B., “A European Proving Trial.” Automobile Engineer, January 1966.
- Livsey A. E., Prestidge A. F., and Woore D. F., “Research into Brake Usage in Passenger Cars.” Automobile Div. Proc., Inst. Mech. Engineers, 1960-61, paper No. 1, p. 211.
- Initial Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Feb. 3, 1967, Amendment Doc. 9, July 7, 1967. SAE Recommended Practice J843a and J937.
- Working Party on the Construction of Vehicles Braking Regulations for Motor Vehicles, Trailers and Mopeds, WP 29 (May 25, 1967). Economic Commission for Europe (ECE).
- Swedish National Road Board; Standards and Instructions for the Approval of Road Vehicles.
- Herring J. M., Jr., “Mechanism of Brake Fade in Organic Brake Linings.” Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit (January 1967), paper 670146.
- Grime G., “The Importance of Loss of Directional Control in Car Accidents.” Proc. of Symposium on Control of Vehicles During Braking and Cornering, Inst. Mech. Engineers, 1963.
- Strien H., “Trends in the Development of Vehicle Brakes and Anti-Skid Braking Devices in Europe.” Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit (January 1961), paper 304C.
- AB Svensk Bilprovning, Report on Car Inspections, 1966.