This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety Performance of Laminated Glass Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Impact performance of a large variety of interlayer combinations laminated with annealed plate, heat strengthened, and fully tempered glasses has been analyzed for acceleration pulses, “severity index,” and penetration. These tests, conducted at 0, 70, and 120 F, indicate that small interlayer thickness changes are most effective in upgrading performance. Severity index numbers well below 1000 were calculated for laminated safety glass with interlayer thickness as high as 0.120 in. Highly localized bending of glass panels during impact with the 22 lb headform has been recorded through high-speed photography as reflected grid board distortion. Lacerative potential of laminated safety glass is being evaluated by using a simulated tissue developed through studies of human tissue.
|Technical Paper||Laminated Safety Glass|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Cloth, Type "S" Glass 181 Style Fabric, Finish No. HTS-904|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Silicone (VMQ) Rubber Sheet, Glass Cloth Reinforced|
CitationRieser, R. and Chabal, J., "Safety Performance of Laminated Glass Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 670912, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670912.
- American Glass Review May 1967 28
- USA Standard Z26.1-1966 “Safety Glazing Materials for Glazing Motor Vehicles Operating on Land Highways.”
- Widman J. C. “Recent Developments in Penetration Resistance of Windshield Glass.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650474
- Schwimmer S. Wolf R. A. “Leading Causes of Injuries in Automobile Accidents.” ACIR 1962
- Rieser R. G. Michaels G. E. “Factors in the Development and Evaluation of Safer Glazing.” Proceedings of Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference 1965
- Patrick L. M. “Human Tolerance to Impact - Basis for Safety Design.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650171
- Danforth J. P. Gadd C. W. “Use of Weighted Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard.” Proceedings of Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 1966
- Danforth J. P. “Computation of GMR Injury Severity Index.” General Motors Corp. Research Publication GMR 574 July 5 1966
- Nabb K. “Measurement of Detailed Inertial Properties and Dimensions of a 50th Percentile Anthropometric Dummy.” Proceedings of Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 1966
- Gadd C. W. Lange W. A. Peterson F. J. “Strength of Skin and Its Measurement.” Paper 65 WA/HUF8 ASME Meeting November 1965