This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Do Exhaust Controls Really Work? — Second Report
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: National West Coast Meeting
Emission tests on 739 cars (1966 and 1967 models) equipped with exhaust controls in public use confirm that the vehicle manufacturers have done a good job of designing cars with low emissions. However, field data on emissions higher than proving ground results, and deterioration of emissions with mileage, indicate that much more effort is needed with regard to proper engine adjustments and quality control on the production line as well as better servicing of the engines in the field. Continued effective emission control after initial sale of the new car is the responsibility of the states.
CitationBrubacher, M. and Grant, E., "Do Exhaust Controls Really Work? — Second Report," SAE Technical Paper 670689, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670689.
- Grant, E. P. “ Do Exhaust Controls Really Work?” Paper 660545 presented at SAE West Coast Meeting, Vancouver, Brit. Col., August 1966.
- CMVPCB, “ California Test Procedure and Criteria for Motor Vehicle Exhaust Emission Control” “Revised Jan. 18, 1967”.
- California Highway Patrol, “ Handbook for Installation and Inspection Stations” “Revised October1966”.
- Steinhagen, W. K. et. al. , “ Design and Development of the General Motors Air Injection Reactor System.” Paper 660106 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- Chandler, J. M. et. al. , “ The Ford Approach to Exhaust Emission Control.” Paper 660163 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- E.W. Beckman, et. al. , “ Exhaust Emission Control by Chrysler - The Cleaner Air Package.” Paper 660107 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- Hass, G. C. “ Emissions of 194 California Cars.” MVPCB, June 19, 1962.
- MagaJ. A. Kinosian, J. R. “ Motor Vehicle Emission Standards - Present and Future.” Paper 660104 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- SweeneyM. P. Brubacher, M. L. “ Exhaust Hydrocarbon Measurement for Tuneup Diagnosis?” Paper 660105 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January1966.
- Brubacher, M. L. “ Simplified Instruments for Hydrocarbon and Carbon Monoxide Measurement.” MVPCB, May 10, 1967.
- BrubacherM. L. Olson, D. R. “ Smog Tuneup for Older Cars.” Paper S403 presented at SAE Southern California Section, April 1964.
- Klaffky, G. A. “ Mobil's Vehicle Diagnostic System.” Paper 760C presented at SAE Powerplant and Transportation, Chicago, October 1963.