This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Aided Engine Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently engineers from various companies have attempted to further the study of engine simulation. This paper considers how the cycle analysis works and gives a brief and qualitative description of it. It also considers cycle analysis in terms of how well it fulfills the designer's needs.
Cycle simulation can be used for design studies, it can predict trends, it can serve as a diagnostic tool, it can give more complete data than normally obtained from experiments, and it helps in understanding of complex processes.
A brief discussion of the simulation techniques for compression, combustion, exhaust, and intake processes is presented.
CitationBorman, G., "Computer Aided Engine Design," SAE Technical Paper 670523, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670523.
SAE 1967 Transactions
Number: V76-A; Published: 1974-12-01
Number: V76-A; Published: 1974-12-01
- Cook H. A. “Digital Computer Analysis and Interpretation of Turbocharged Diesel Engine Performance,” SAE Trans. 67 1959
- McAulay K. J. Wu T. Borman G. L. “Development and Evaluation of the Simulation of the Compression-Ignition Engine, Part 1;” Chen S. K. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. Part 2, SAE paper No. 650451 , SAE Trans. 1966
- Cook H. A. “Appraisal of Effects of Operating Conditions and Engine Design on Combustion in Reciprocating Engines by Engine Cycle Calculations,” SAE Paper 633C 1963
- Whitehouse N. D. Stotter A. Boudie G. D. Prentice B. W. “Method of Predicting Some Aspects of Performance of a Diesel Engine Using a Digital Computer,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engr. 176 9 1962
- Strange F. M. “An Analysis of Ideal Otto Cycle, Including the Effects of Heat Transfer, Finite Combustion Rates, Chemical Dissociation and Mechanical Losses,” SAE Paper 633D 1963
- Patterson D. J. Van Wylen G. “A Digital Computer Simulation for Spark-Ignited Engine Cycles,” SAE Paper 633F 1963
- Huber P. Brown J. R. “Computation of Instantaneous Air Flow and Volumetric Efficiency,” SAE Paper 812B 1964
- Krieger R. Borman G. L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines,” Paper No. 66-WA/DGP-4, Diesel and Gas Power Trans., ASME 1967
- Weber Harold G. Borman Gary L. “Parametric Studies Using a Mathematically Simulated Diesel Engine Cycle.” SAE Transactions 76 1968 1748 1766
- Overbye V. D. Bennethum J. E. Uyehara O. A. Myers P. S. “Unsteady Heat Transfer in Engines”, SAE Trans. 69 461 1961
- Eichelberg G. “Some New Investigations on Old Combustion Engine Problems,” Engineer London, England 148 1939 603
- Annand W. J. D. “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines,” Institution of Mech. Engrs. 1962
- Goyal M. Scharpf G. Borman G. L. “The Simulation of Single Cylinder Intake and Exhaust Systems.” Paper 670478 SAE Midyear Meeting Chicago May 1967
- Borman G. Johnson J. “Unsteady Vaporization Histories and Trajectories of Fuel Drops Injected into Swirling Air.” Paper 598C, Progress in Technology 11 1967 13 29
- Priem R. J. Borman G. L. El-Wakil M. M. Uyehara O. A. Myers P. S. “Experimental and Calculated Histories of Vaporizing Fuel Drops,” NACA TN 3988 1957
- Borman G. L. El-Wakil M. M. Uyehara O. A. Myers P. S. “Graphs of Reduced Variables for Computing Histories of Vaporizing Fuel Drops, and Drop Histories Under Pressure,” NACA TN 4438 1958
- El-Wakil M. M. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Fuel Vaporization and Ignition Lag in Diesel Combustion,” SAE Trans. 64 1956 712 729
- Lyn W. T. “Study of Burning Rate and Nature of Combustion in Diesel Engines,” Ninth International Symposium on Combustion New York Academic Press 1962 1069 1082
- Ebersole G. D. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “The Radiant and Convective Components of Diesel Engine Heat Transfer,” SAE Paper 701C 1963
- Kapadia D. Borman G. L. “The Effect of Heat Transfer on the Steady Flow through a Poppet Valve.” Paper 670479 SAE Midyear Meeting Chicago May 1967