This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermodynamic Properties of Methane and Air, and Propane and Air for Engine Performance Calculations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
This is a continuation of the presentation of thermodynamic properties of selected fuel-air mixtures in chart form, suitable for utilization in engine performance calculations. Methane and propane, representative of natural gas and LPG are the two fuels considered. Using these charts, comparisons are made between the performance to be expected with these gaseous fuels compared to octane, as representative of gasoline. Reduced engine power is predicted and this is confirmed by experience of other investigators.
CitationStarkman, E. and Newhall, H., "Thermodynamic Properties of Methane and Air, and Propane and Air for Engine Performance Calculations," SAE Technical Paper 670466, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670466.
- "LP-Gas for Engines." SAE Special Publication 285 December 1966
- Adams W. E. Boldt, K. "What Engines Say About Propane Fuel Mixtures." SAE Trans 73 1965 718
- Swartz, D. J. Wilson, K. W. King, W. J. "Merits of Liquified Petroleum Gas Fuel for Automotive Air Pollution Abatement." J. Air Pollution Control Association 13 4 April 1963 154
- Galster, G. M. Gamier, D. A. Buckley, E. D. "What Propane Engines Say About Spark Plugs." SAE Trans Vol 74 1966 650253
- "Digital Calculations of Engine Cycles." SAE Technical Progress Series 7 1964
- Starkman, E.S. Newhall, H.K. Sutton, R. Maguire T. Farbar, L. "Ammonia as a Spark Ignition Engine Fuel; Theory and Application" SAE Trans 75 1967 660155
- Pflaum, W. "I-S Diagramme Fur Verbrennungsgase Und TJir Anwendung Auf Die Vebbrennungsmachine." Ver-lag V. D. I. 1932
- Hershey, R. L. Eberhardt, J. E. Hottel, H. C. "Thermodynamic Properties of the Working Fluid in Internal Combustion Engines." SAE Journal October 1936
- Hottel, H. C. Williams, G. C. Satterfield, C. N. "Thermodynamic Charts for Combustion Processes." New York John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1949
- Caris D. F. Nelson, E. E. "A New Look at High Compression Ratio Engines." SAE Trans 67 1959
- "JANAF Interim Thermochemical Data Tables," by the Joint Army-Navy-Air Force Thermochemical Panel, ARP A Program USAF Contract AF 33 (616)-6149, Thermal Laboratory, Dow Chemical Corp., Midland, Mich. December 1960
- Newhall H. K. Starkman, E. S. "Thermodynamic Properties of Octane and Air for Engine Performance Calculations." SAE Technical Progress Series 7
- Starkman, E. S. Newhall H. K. Sutton, R. D. "Comparative Performance of Alcohol and Hydrocarbon Fuels." SAE Special Publication 254 June 1964
- Kuivanen, G. J. Westra R. O. Lien, D. G. "Engine-Fuel Relationships with LPG and Natural Gas." Paper 670053 , SAE Special Publication 285, December 1966
- Baxter, M. C. "LP-Gas-A Superior Motor Fuel." Paper 670054 , SAE Special Publication 285, December 1966.
- Blalock W. S. Little, R. N. "Carburetion and Other Factors Which Affect Propane Fueled Engines." Paper 670058 , SAE Special Publication 285 December 1966