This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Criteria and Configuration for Long-Life Aircraft Gas Turbines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analysis of major life-limiting problems in military and commercial service experience. Design action and means to verify the solution have included engine and laboratory tests. The experience gained has led to the development of design criteria, most of which have a basis in analysis of flow models, rotor dynamics, wave mechanics, heat transfer, or stress fields. Design criteria, when adequately substantiated, become effective means of helping protect new designs from life-limiting problems possibly related to: coking of vent tubes, seals, and sump walls; materials joining; low-cycle fatigue, including thermal cyclic stresses; fretting and wear; bearing retention; blading; installation effects; and flexural vibration and fatigue of the thin walls of flow passages.
|Technical Paper||A Practical Approach to Jet Engine Lubricant Evaluation|
|Aerospace Standard||Gearbox - Airframe Mounted Accessory|
|Technical Paper||Sealing Rougher Surface Finishes Using Conformable Rubber Coating on MLS|
CitationAlford, J., "Design Criteria and Configuration for Long-Life Aircraft Gas Turbines," SAE Technical Paper 670344, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670344.
- Alford J. S. “Protecting Turbomachinery from Unstable and Oscillatory Flows.” ASME Paper No. 66-WA/GT'13
- Thompson W. T. Barton M. V. “The Response of Mechanical Systems to Random Excitation.” J. Applied Mechanics 24 1957 248 251
- Smith J. O. McCarthy J. H. “Dynamic Response of Tall Stacks to Wind Excitation.” ASME Paper No. 63'WA'248
- denHartog J. P. “Mechanical Vibrations.” McGraw'Hill Book Co”
- Timoshenko S. “Vibration Problems in Engineering.” D. VanNostrand and Co., Inc.
- Alford J. S. “Protection of Labyrinth Seals from Flexural Vibration.” ASME Paper No. 63'AHGT'9
- Alford J. S. Lawson G. W. “Dimensional Stability and Structural Integrity of Labyrinth Seals.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 660048
- Alford J. S. “Protecting Turbomachinery from Self-Excited Rotor Whirl.” ASME Paper No. 64-WA/GTP-4
- Miles J. W. “The Analysis of Plane Discontinuities in Cylindrical Tubes.” Part I” J. Acoustical Society of America 17 3 January 1946 259 284
- Hutter R.G.E. “Beam and Wave Electronics in Microwave Tubes.” D. VanNostrand and Co., Inc.
- Peterson R. E. “Stress Concentration Design Factors.” New York John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Campbell W. “Protection of Steam Turbine Disk Wheels from Axial Vibration.” ASME Paper No. 1920 May 1924
- French R. F. “Aircraft Gas Turbine Rotating Compressor Disk Vibration.” ASME Paper No. 65-WA/GTP-11
- Alford J. S. “Inlet Duct-Engine Flow Compatibility.” Paper presented at Fifth International Aeronautical Conference, IAS June 20-24 1955
- Alford J. S. “Inlet Flow Distortion Index.” Paper presented at International Days of Aeronautical Sciences May 27-29 1957
- Alford J. S. “Power Plants for Supersonic Transports.” Second Halford Memorial Lecture to Hatfield Branch, Royal Aeronautical Society London, England May 11 1960
- Alford J. S. Davies D. P. Young L. C. “Inlet Duct-Engine Airflow Match and Compatibility for Supersonic Aircraft.” Paper 586C presented at SAE Aeronautic and Space Engineering and Manufacturing Meeting Los Angeles October 1962
- Alford J. S. Durand H. P. “Application of Dynamic Simulation Techniques to Engine Inlet Compatibility Problems on SST.” Paper 911D presented at SAE Aeronautic and Space Engineering and Manufacturing Meeting Los Angeles October 1964
- Roark R. J. “Formulas for Stress and Strain.” McGraw-Hill Co.
- Alford J. S. “Dimensional Stability and Structural Integrity of Casings for Aircraft Gas Turbines.” ASME Paper No. 53-A231
- Arnold R. N. Warburton G. B. “The Flexural Vibration of Thin Cylinders.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engineers 167 62 74
- Macke H. J. “Traveling-Wave Vibration of Gas Turbine Engine Shells.” ASME Paper No. 65-WA/GTP-3
- Pirtle J. C. “Design Procedures for Improving Engine Operating Costs.” Paper 650211 presented at SAE National Aeronautic Meeting Washington, D. C. April 1965
- Danforth C. E. “Designing to Avoid Fatigue in Long-Life Engines.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 650211
- Whitehead D. S. “The Vibration of Air in a Duct With a Subsonic Mean Flow.” Aeronautical Quarterly February 1961