This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Performance of Vehicle Gas Turbines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
The performance of gas turbine engines suitable for ground vehicle applications is examined. Two basic cycles are discussed-the simple turbine engine cycle, and the regenerated turbine engine cycle. The simple cycle presents the high power to weight and power to volume potential of the gas turbine in its basic form. The regenerated engine with variable power turbine geometry presents the simplest turbine cycle capable of competing with the best piston engines on the basis of fuel consumption. The effect of the choice of cycle parameters and the effect of component performance on engine performance trends is presented, and the overall engine performance is examined as it relates to the vehicle.
CitationBarbeau, D., "The Performance of Vehicle Gas Turbines," SAE Technical Paper 670198, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670198.
- “CODAG Vehicular Powerplant.” Diesel and Gas Turbine Progress March 1966
- Porter K. W. Williams L. H. “Gas Turbines for Emergency Vehicles.” SAE Paper 650460 presented at Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 17 21 1965
- Clark C. C. “Materials, Costs and the Small Gas Turbine,” Diesel and Gas Turbine Progress March 1966
- Hare A. Malley H. M. “Cooling Modem Aero Engine Turbine Blades and Vanes.” SAE Paper 660053 presented at Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit Jan. 10 14 1966
- White J. W. “Advanced Army Components Technology Program.” SAE Paper 650707 , presented at Combined Powerplant and Transportation Meeting Cleveland Oct. 18 21 1965
- Wood H. J. “Gas Turbines in Future Industrial Vehicles” from “Powerplants for Industrial and Commercial Vehicles.” SAE Paper 650480
- Clark J. M. Jr “Gas Turbines for Vehicles.” ASME Paper 63-MD-50, presented at Design Engineering Conference New York May 20 23 1963
- Allely B. L. Eberhardt J. D. “Accessory Load Capability of the Free Turbine Engine with Variable Geometry Power Turbine.” SAE Paper 930B presented at National Transportation, Powerplant, and Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Baltimore Md Oct. 19 23 1964