This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stopping the Occupant of a Crashing Vehicle - A Fundamental Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Occupant motion in a head-on collision is studied through classical solutions of a two-degree-of-freedom mathematical model simulating a colinear vehicle-occupant system. Stoppage of the elastically restrained occupant by general system tuning is demonstrated. Analysis of the system behavior over a range of initial vehicle speeds brings out the fundamental differences due to elastic and inelastic occupant restraint and due to changes of character of vehicle front end collapse. Consideration of practical application of the conclusions, generally, should be limited to systems with well-harnessed occupants.
CitationEgli, A., "Stopping the Occupant of a Crashing Vehicle - A Fundamental Study," SAE Technical Paper 670038, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670038.
- McHenry R. R. “Analysis of the Dynamics of Automotive Passenger Restraint Systems.” Cornell Aeronautical Research Lab., Inc., Report No. VJ-1823-R1 May 1963
- McHenry R. R. Naab K. N. “Computer Simulation of the Crash Victim -- A Validation Study.” Paper 660792 presented at 10th Stapp Car-Crash Conference November 1966
- Patrick L. M. Mertz, H. J. Jr. Kroell C. K. “Impact Dynamics of Unrestrained, Lap Belted, and Lap and Diagonal Chest Belted Occupants.” Paper 660788 presented at 10th Stapp Car-Crash Conference November 1966
- Lundstrom L. C. “The Safety Factor in Automotive Design.” Paper 660539 , presented at SAE West Coast Meeting Los Angeles August 1966
- Thomson W. T. “Vibration Theory and Application.” Prentice-Hall 1965
- Tong K. N. “Theory of Mechanical Vibration.” Wiley 1960
- Kaplan W. “Operational Methods for Linear Systems.” Addison-Wesley 1962
- Churchill R. V. “Operational Mathematics.” Mcgraw-Hill 1958
- Friedman B. “Principles and Techniques of Applied Mathematics.” Wiley 1956