This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical Techniques for Designing Riding Quality Into Automotive Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes techniques that predict and analyze dynamic response of vehicles traversing random rough surfaces. Road irregularities are statistically classified by frequency and amplitude distribution. This classification determines the nature of random inputs to mathematical vehicle models and allows computer prediction of dynamic response of a simulated vehicle. Once inputs and models are defined, parametric analysis with output criteria specified statistically can be performed. This allows prediction of vehicle riding quality and evaluation of design concepts. Statistical analysis of accelerometer measurements on actual vehicles permits verification of the design process and meaningful comparison between vehicles.
CitationVan Deusen, B., "Analytical Techniques for Designing Riding Quality Into Automotive Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 670021, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670021.
- Bodeau A. C. Bollinger R. H. Lippin L. “Passenger Car Suspension Analysis.” SAE Trans. 64 1956 273 283
- Kohr R. H. “Analysis and Simulation of Automobile Ride.” SAE Paper No. 144A March 1960
- Van Deusen B. D. “Analysis of Vehicle Vibration.” I.S.A. Trans. 3 2 1964 138 148
- Van Deusen B. D. “System Analysis with an Analog Computer Using Stochastic Processes.” Paper No. 453A presented at SAE National Meeting Detroit, Michigan
- Van Deusen B. D. “A Statistical Technique for the Dynamic Analysis of Vehicles Traversing Rough Yielding and Non-Yielding Surfaces.” NASA Contractor Report No. 659 May 1966
- Van Deusen B. D. Hoppe C. H. “A Study of the Vehicle Ride Dynamics Aspect of Ground Mobility,” Final Report IV April 1965
- Blackman R. B. Tukey J. W. “The Measurement of Power Spectra.” New York Dover Publications, Inc. 1960
- Kozin F. Cote L. J. Bogdanoff J. L. “Statistical Studies of Stable Ground Roughness,” ATAC/L.L.L. Report No. 8391 November 1963
- Hutchinson B. G. “Analysis of Road Roughness Records by Power Spectral Density Techniques,” Department of Highways Ontario, Canada
- Van Deusen B. D. “Data Acquisition and Statistical Analysis Using Analog Computer Techniques.” SAE Trans. 71 1963 350 357
- Kaneshige I. “Power and Cross Spectral Analysis of an Automobile Engine Mounting.” SAE Paper 966A January 1965
- Aseltine J. A. “Transform Method in Linear System Analysis.” New York McGraw-Hill Book Co. Inc. 1958
- Van Deusen B. D. “A Study of the Vehicle Ride Dynamics Aspect of Ground Mobility,” Final Report III April 1965
- Van Deusen B. D. “A Study of the Vehicle Ride Dynamics Aspects of Ground Mobility,” Final Report I May 1965
- Van Deusen B. D. “A Study of the Vehicle Ride Dynamics Aspect of Ground Mobility,” Final Report II May 1965