This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Role of Whiplash in Cerebral Concussion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An attempt to summarize and correlate the possible injurious mechanisms occurring in whiplash and head injury by impact is presented. The relation between whiplash and cerebral concussion has been investigated in two ways. First, it is demonstrated that a collar restricting bending and twisting but not stretching of the neck, as well as reducing rotational acceleration of the head, significantly raises the threshold for experimental cerebral concussion produced by occipital blows to the freely moveable head in monkeys. Secondly, experimental whiplash without head impact in the monkey can produce significant reduction of standard responses to external stimuli. It is suggested that multiple mechanisms are involved in cerebral concussion, among them rotational acceleration of the head, flexion-extension-tension of the neck and intracranial pressure gradients being probably the most significant. The direction of future investigation is indicated.
|Technical Paper||Translational versus Rotational Acceleration-Animal Experiments with Measured Input|
|Technical Paper||A New Crash Test Device- “Repeatable Pete”|
CitationOmmaya, A., Hirsch, A., and Martinez, J., "The Role of Whiplash in Cerebral Concussion," SAE Technical Paper 660804, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660804.
- Wright D. R. “Concussion and Contusion.” Surgery 19 661 667 1946
- Hollister N. Jolley W. P. Home R. G. “Biophysics of Concussion.” Arlington Hall Station Arlington, Virginia
- Friede R. L. “Specific Cord Damage at the Atlas Level as a Pathogenic Mechanism in Cerebral Concussion.” J. Neuropath. Exp. Neurol. 19 2 266 279 April 1960
- Friede R. L. “Experimental Acceleration Concussion Pathology and Mechanics.” Archives of Neurology 4 449 462 1961
- Ommaya A. K. Hirsch A. E. Flamm E. S. Mahone R. H. “An Experimental Model for Cerebral Concussion in the Monkey.” Science 153 3732 211 July 1966
- Ommaya A. K. “Experimental Head Injury in the Monkey.” Chapter 23 in ‘Head Injury’” Conference Proceedings J. B. Lippincott Co. Philadelphia 1966
- Holbourn A. H. S. October 1956
- Holbourn A. H. S. “Mechanics of head injuries.” Lancet 245 438 441 October 1943
- Martinez J. L. Wickstrom J. K. Barcelo B. T. “The Whiplash Injury - A Study of Head-Neck Action and Injuries in Animals.” ASME Paper No. 65-WA/HUF-6. Presented at Human Factors Division, ASME Meeting Chicago, Ill. November 7-11 1965