This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SST Propulsion Systems - Airline Operational and Economic Goals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Successful use of the public benefits of air transportation at supersonic speeds will require attainment of many goals. Five requisites are categorized and examined in relation to the propulsion system. Specifically, the needs of reliability, maintainability, operational flexibility, salability, and profitability are discussed and the interplay and accumulative effects are described.
Goals for the SST propulsion system are compared to the status of today’s operation and data showing historical trends are presented. Achievement of these goals is shown to require a team effort with complete freedom of two way communication between manufacturer and user during the entire design phase and life of the aircraft.
CitationParmet, N. and Sherwood, W., "SST Propulsion Systems - Airline Operational and Economic Goals," SAE Technical Paper 660296, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660296.
- Sherwood, W. D. “SST Fuels - A Major Airline Concern.” Paper 911C presented at SAE National Aeronautic and Space Engineering and Manufacturing Meeting, Los Angeles, October 1964.
- Graf D. A. and Sherwood, W. D. “An Airline View of the Propulsion System Influence on Aircraft Economics.” Paper presented at AIAA Propulsion Joint Specialist Conference, Colorado Springs, Col. June 1965.
- Ogston, A. R. “The Supersonic Situation - Why the SST? And How and When?.” Esso Air World, November/December 1965.
- Hussey P. A. and Thomas, S. G. “Are Scheduled Component Overhauls Necessary?”. Paper 922C presented at SAE National Aeronautic and Space Engineering and Manufacturing Meeting, Los Angeles, October 1964.
- Drell Harry and Bragdon, E. L. “Propulsion Systems Sizing Criteria for the Supersonic Transport.” Paper 650199 presented at SAE National Aeronautic Meeting, Washington, D. C., April 1965.
- Pirtle, John C. “Design Procedures for Improving Engine Operating Costs.” Paper 650211 presented at SAE National Aeronautic Meeting, Washington, D. C., April 1965.
- Parmet, N. R. “Maintenance Philosophy for Design of a SST - An Airline Viewpoint.” Presented at ATA Engineering and Maintenance Conference, Miami Beach, October 1965.