This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Feasibility of Optical Radar to Detect Clear Air Turbulence
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pulsed ruby laser optical radars were used to examine the feasibility of turbulence detection in laboratory test chambers and afield. Many returns obtained showed evidence of particle concentration variations, but none were identified as interactions with either turbulence or correlates of rough flying. Calculations and recently reported experimental evidence show that c-w laser doppler optars might eventually measure wind velocity components and gust spectra.
CitationZirkle, R., "The Feasibility of Optical Radar to Detect Clear Air Turbulence," SAE Technical Paper 660198, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660198.
- Houbolt J.C. Steiner R. Pratt K. G. “Dynamic Response of Airplanes to Atmospheric Turbulence Including Flight Data on Input and Response.” NASA Langley June 1964
- Lumley J. L. Panofsky H. A. “The Structure of Atmospheric Turbulence.” Wiley 1964
- Kerr D.E. “Propagation of Short Radio Waves. ” McGraw-Hill 1951
- Hitschfeld W. Dennis A.S. “Fluctuations in Radar Echoes from Snow. ” McGill University Proc 5th Weather Radar Conf 249 254 1955
- Lhermitte R. M. “New Developments of the Echo Fluctuations Theory and Measurements.” Observatoire de Magny-les-Hameaux Meteorologie Nationale France Proc 8th Weather Radar Conf 263 275 11-14 April 1960
- Stackpole J. D. “The Effectiveness of Raindrops as Turbulence Sensors. ” Proc 9th Weather Radar Conf 212 217 23-26 October 1961
- Cummins H. Z. Knable N. Yeh Y. “Observation of Diffusion Broadening of Rayleigh Scattered Light.” Columbia University 1964
- Foreman J. W. George E. W. Lewis R.D. “Measurement of Localized Flow Velocities in Gases with a Laser Doppler Flowmeter.” Appl Phys Lttrs 7 77 15 August 1965
- Huffaker M. Private communication NASA Huntsville 30 November 1965
- Forrester A.T. “Photoelectric Mixing as a Spectroscopic Tool.” Jnl Opt Soc Am 51 253 1961
- Penndorf R. “The Vertical Distribution of Mie Particles in the Troposphere.” AFCRC Tech Report 54-5 March 1954
- Fuks N.A. “The Mechanics of Aerosols.” U.S. Dept of Commerce 1958
- Rutkowsky W. Fleisher A. “R-meter; An Instrument for Measuring Gustiness. ” Proc 5th Weather Radar Conf 255 260 1955
- Harrison H. T. “The Mountain Wave. ” NASA Cont Report NASA CR-315 October 1965