This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Clear Air Turbulence: Problems and Solutions (A State-of-the-Art Report)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A summary is given of the present state of knowledge on the physical causes of clear-air turbulence (CAT). Special reference is made to recent measurement results from Project TOPCAT. Implications of these flight investigations, which were made over Australia, on remote sensing of CAT and on the planning of future research efforts are outlined.
CitationReiter, E., "Clear Air Turbulence: Problems and Solutions (A State-of-the-Art Report)," SAE Technical Paper 660175, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660175.
- Bannon J. K., “Weather Systems Associated with Some Occasions of Severe Turbulence at High Altitude.” Meteorol. Mag. London, 81: 97-101, 1952.
- Clodman J., Morgan, G. M. Jr., and Ball J. T., “High Level Turbulence.” Air Weather Service, Technical Report 158, 1961.
- Colson DeVer, “Analysis of Clear-Air Turbulence During April 1960.” Monthly Weather Review, 89: 94-98, 1961.
- Colson DeVer “Analysis of Clear-Air Turbulence Data for March 1962.” Monthly Weather Review, 91 (2): 73-82, 1963.
- Reiter E. R. and Nania A., “Jet-Stream Structure and Clear-Air Turbulence (CAT).” J. of Applied Meteorol., 3 (3): 247-260, 1964.
- Shur G. N., “Experimental Investigation of the Energy Spectrum of Atmospheric Turbulence.” Trudy TsAO, No. 43, 1962.
- Vinnichenko N. K., Pinus N. Z., and Shur G. N., “Some Results of the Experimental Turbulence Investigations in the Troposphere.” Paper presented at the International Colloquium on the Fine-Scale Structure of the Atmosphere, Moscow, June 15-22, 1965.
- Pinus N. Z., Reiter E. R., Shur G. N., and Vinnichenko N. K., “Power Spectra of Turbulence in the Free Atmosphere.” Manuscript submitted to “Tellus”, 1965.
- Rhyne R. H. and Steiner R., “Turbulence and Precipitation Problems Associated with Operation of Supersonic Transports.” Paper presented at the Fourth Conference on Applied Meteorology, Hampton, Virginia, September 10-14, 1962.
- Burns A. and Rider C. K., “Project TOPCAT, Power Spectral Measurements of Clear-Air Turbulence Associated with Jet Streams.” Royal Aircraft Establishment, Technical Memo. No. Structures, 1965.
- Reiter E. R. and Burns A., “Atmospheric Structure and Clear-Air Turbulence. Colorado State University, Atmospheric Science Technical Paper No. 65, 1965.
- Reiter E. R. and Burns A., “The Structure of Clear-Air Turbulence Derived from TOPCAT Aircraft Measurements.” Manuscript submitted to J. of Atmosph. Sci., 1965.
- Crooks W., “High Altitude Clear-Air Turbulence.” Interim Report, Flight Dynamics Laboratory, Research and Technology Division, Air Force Systems Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, 1965.
- Mantis H. T., “The Structure of Winds of the Upper Troposphere at Mesoscale.” J. of Atmosph. Sci., 20 (2): 94-106, 1963.
- Kao S. -K. and Woods H. D., “Energy Spectra of Meso-Scale Turbulence along and across the Jet Stream.” J. Atmosph. Sci., 21 (5): 513-519, 1964.
- Pinus N. Z., “Statistical Characteristics of the Horizontal Component of the Wind Velocity at Heights of 6-12 km.” Bulletin of the Academy of Sciences, USSR, Geophys. Ser., 105-107, 1963.
- Atlas D., Hardy K. R., and Glover K. M., “Multi-wavelength Backscatter from the Clear Atmosphere.” Paper presented at the International Colloquium on the Fine-Scale Structure of the Atmosphere, Moscow, June 15-22, 1965.
- Revah I. and Spizzichino A., “Etudes des stratifications horizontales dans la haute atmosphere.” Paper presented at the International Colloquium on the Fine-Scale Structure of the Atmosphere, Moscow, June 15-22, 1965.
- Bolgiano, R. Jr., “Turbulent Spectra in a Stably Stratified Atmosphere.” J. Geophys. Res., 64: 2226, 1959.
- Bolgiano, R. Jr., “Structure of Turbulence in Stratified Media.” J. Geophys. Res., 67: 3015-3123, 1962.
- Kadlec P. W., “A Study of Flight Conditions Associated with Jet Stream Cirrus, Atmospheric Temperature Change and Wind Shear Turbulence.” Final Report to U. S. Weather Bureau under Contract No. Cwb-10674, 1964.