This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Deposit Properties on Volumetric Efficiency, Heat Transfer, and Preignition in Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Digital computer methods were used to investigate the behavior of engine operating characteristics with a time-varying gas-film heat-transfer coefficient and gradual buildup of combustion-chamber deposits. Simulated engine runs were made with a “clean” engine having different wall materials and operating at different engine speeds as a basis for comparison.
From the data calculated, heat transfer rates were established and inferences drawn regarding trends of detonation, preignition, and volumetric efficiency during the deposit buildup period.
It was found that, while thermal resistance (x/k)d of the deposit layer is the most important parameter, a secondary parameter of interest is the thermal penetration, , in comparing the effects of deposits of different properties.
CitationBradish, J., Myers, P., and Uyehara, O., "Effects of Deposit Properties on Volumetric Efficiency, Heat Transfer, and Preignition in Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 660130, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660130.
- Orelup J. W. Lee, O. I. “Factors Influencing Carbon Formation in Automobile Engines,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 17 1925 731
- Overbye, V. D. Bennethum, J. E. Uyehara, O. A. Myers, P. S. “Unsteady Heat Transfer in Engines,” SAE Transactions 69 1961 461
- Hall, C. A. Warren, J. A. McCullough, J. D. “Practical Yardstick for Deposit Effects.” Paper 332 presented at SAE Summer Meeting, Atlantic City 1954
- Warren, J. “Combustion Chamber Deposits and Octane-Number Requirement,” SAE Transactions 62 1954 582
- Dumont, L. F. “Possible Mechanisms by Which Combustion Chamber Deposits Accumulate and Influence Knock,” SAE Quarterly Transactions 5 4 1951 565
- Hirschler, D. A. Gilbert, L. F. Lamb, F. W. Niebylski, L. M. “Particulate Lead Compounds in Automotive Exhaust Gas,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 49 1957 1131
- Withrow L. C. Bowditch, F. W. “Flame Photographs of Autoignition Induced by Combustion Chamber Deposits,” SAE Transactions 6 1952 725
- Duckworth, J. B. “ Effects of Combustion Chamber Deposits on Octane Requirements and Engine Power Output,” SAE Quarterly Transactions 5 1951 577
- Mikita J. J. Bettoney, W. E. “How Combustion Chamber Deposits Affect Engine-Fuel Requirements,” Oil and Gas Journal 1953 84
- Eichelberg, G. “Some New Investigations of Old Combustion Engine Problems,” Engineering 148 1939 463
- Annand, W. J. P. “Heat Transfer in Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines,” Institution of Mechanical Engineers Proceedings 177 36 1963 973
- Jakob, M. “Heat Transfer,” 1 New York John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1949
- Olcer, N. Y. “ Theory of Unsteady Conduction Heat Transfer in Multicomponent Finite Regions,” 1964
- Bradish, J. P. “Instantaneous Deposit Surface Temperatures and Heat Flow Rates in Internal Combustion Engine,” 1965