This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lubricants for High Performance Turbine Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several lubricants now available have the requisite performance characteristics for use in the high temperature environments predicted for the Mach 2.0-4.0 turbojet engines. Based upon bench and rig evaluations, these lubricants promise levels of safety, reliability, and economy in the high Mach number engines equivalent to current commercial lubricant powerplant systems. Performance data comparing existing commercial aviation lubricants with the advanced Type 3 and Type 4 lubricants are reported and discussed.
CitationMcHugh, K., "Lubricants for High Performance Turbine Engines," SAE Technical Paper 660071, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660071.
- Dukek, W. G. “Fuels and Lubricants for the Next Generation Aircraft - The Supersonic Transport,” J. Inst. of Pet., Vol. 50 (1964), 273-296.
- Kuchta, J. M. Bartkowiak, A. Spolan, I. and Zabetakis, M. G. “Flammability Characteristics of High Temperature Hydrocarbon Fuels.” ASD Report No. TDR-62-328, Part I (April, 1962) and Part II (December, 1962).
- Zabetakis, M. G. Scott,G. S. Kennedy, R. E. “Autoignition of Lubricants at Elevated Pressures,” Bureau of Mines Report RI-6112 (1962).
- Zabetakis, M. G. Scott, G. S. and Kennedy, R. E. “Effect of Reduced Pressure and Partial Pressures of Oxygen on SIT of an Experimental Lubricant,” Bureau of Mines Report No. 3802 (January, 1961).
- Kennedy R. E. and Kuchta, J. M. “Autoignition Temperatures of a New Lubricant at Reduced and Elevated Pressures,” Bureau of Mines Report No. 3949 (June, 1965).
- Reynolds, H. W. Jr., “Service Evaluation of Synthetic Lubricants.” Proc. USAF Aerospace Fluids and Lubricants Conference, April 16-19, 1963.
- Stemniski, J. R. Wilson, G. R. Smith, J. O. and McHugh, K. L. “Antioxidants for High Temperature Lubricants,” ASLE Trans. Vol. 7 (1964), 43.
- Baber, B. B. Cuellar, J. P. Ku, P. M. Lawler, C. W. and Monita, C. M. “Development of Lubricant Screening Tests and Evaluation of Lubricants for Gas Turbine Engines for Commercial Supersonic Transport.” ASD Report No. TDR-63-264, Part II (May, 1963).
- Morris, G. “Fuel and Engine Lubricant Requirements for the Concord.” Paper presented at SAE/ASME National Aeronautic Meeting and Production Forum, New York, April 27-30, 1964.
- Private Communication, L. B. Jones, Chief Mechanical Engineer, Bristol Siddeley Engine, Filton, England.
- Ryder, E. A. “A Test for Aircraft Gear Lubricants,” ASTM Bul., Vol. 184 (1952), 41.
- Droegemueller E. A. Huff, R. G. and “The Effect of Gear Machines on Scuff Limited Loads,” Lubrication Engrg., Vol. 21 (1965), 27-32.
- Beane, G. A. IV, and Lawler, C. W. “Load Carrying Capacities of Gear Lubricants of Different Chemical Classes.” Paper presented at the Gear Lubrication Symposium, Institute of Petroleum, Brighton, Sussex, England, October 21-23, 1964. Also AF APL Report No. TR-65-23 (April, 1965).
- Gustafson, J. H. “High Temperature Oil Evaluation in Full Scale Bearing Fatigue Test,” Lubrication Engrg, Vol. 20 (1964), 65-68.
- Scott D. and Blackwell, J. “The Lubrication of Rolling Contacts at Elevated Temperatures.” Paper presented at the Industrial Lubrication Symposium, London, March 8-11, 1965.
- Squires, A. T. B. P. “Rolls-Royce Test Methods,” No. 1001, 1002, 1003, and 1004. Published privately by Rolls-Royce, Ltd., Derby, England.
- Borger, J. G. Allen, L. H. Foiling, N. D. and Hibbs, W. F. “The Commercial Supersonic Transport - Some Operational Considerations.” Paper presented at the National Aeronautical Meeting of the SAE, New York, April 4-7, 1961.
- Yaffee, M. L. “Research & Development Efforts Seek Advanced Lubricants,” Aviation Week & Space Technology (January 11, 1965).
- Freschl E. and Steele, E. S. “Development of the XB-70A Propulsion System.” AIAA Paper No. 65-571. Presented at the AIAA Propulsion Joint Specialist Conference, Colorado Springs, Colorado, June 14-18, 1965.
- David, V. W. Hughes, J. R. and Reece, D. J. “Some Lubrication Problems of Aviation Gas Turbines,” J. Inst. Pet., Vol. 42 (1956), 330-335.
- Williams, C. G. “Fuels and Lubricants for Aero Gas Turbines,” J. Inst. Pet., Vol. 33 (1947), 267-306.
- Lydiard, W. G. “Fuel System Problems in High speed Aircraft,” J. Royal Aero. Soc., Vol. 68 (1964), 11-24.