This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Variable-Stability Automobile: Concept and Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the application of the variable stability and response automobile for determining the dynamic characteristics of automobiles and for researching man-machine relationships. As a design tool, the device permits realistic appraisal of machine behavior before advancing to the stage of prototype. It is in this application that the paper discusses two general categories, variable feedback and model reference systems, describing the design, components, calibration, utilization, and the various tasks required in the developmental process.
|Technical Paper||Tailored Blanks - An Innovative Weld Edge Preparation Technique to Improve Reliability and Economy of Laser Weld Process|
CitationSegel, L., "The Variable-Stability Automobile: Concept and Design," SAE Technical Paper 650658, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650658.
- Graham F. D. “Automatic Control and the Lateral Oscillatory Motion.” April 1 1949
- Kidd E. A. “Artificial Stability Installation in C-45 Airplane.” July 1953
- Kidd E. A. “Artificial Stability Installation in B-26 and F-94 Aircraft.” September 1954
- Flight Research Department (CAL) “Installation of an Automatic Control System in a T-33 Airplane for Variable Stability Flight Research.”
- Newell F. Schelhorn A. Dolbin B. “Development and Flight Calibration of a Variable-Drag Device on a Variable-Stability T-33 Airplane.” August 1963
- Breuhaus W. O. “Flight Research Utilizing Variable Stability Aircraft,” Aeronautical Engineering Review 14 11 November 1955
- Breuhaus W. O. “Airplanes with Variable Stability.” CAL Research Trends III 2 1955
- Segel L. “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control.” Proceedings of the Automobile Division 1956–1957
- Segel L. “The Force and Moment Response of Pneumatic Tires to Lateral Motion Inputs.” ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry 88 1 February 1966