This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Redundant Damper Servoactuators for the F-111 Airplane
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the design of the self-contained electrohydraulic servo damper packages used for stability augmentation control in each axis of the F-111 airplane. These servo-actuators incorporate integral error sensing and failure shut-off provisions through nonelectrical means. Each actuator is supplied with three simultaneous signal inputs, together with dual hydraulic system pressurization. Hydromechanical error comparisons are performed and these are used to control a logic network which shuts off a portion of the actuator should a sufficient error develop. The shut-off is accomplished automatically and with no significant change in actuator performance following shut-off. The basic operation, design and performance of these rather sophisticated actuators is described.
CitationThayer, W., "Redundant Damper Servoactuators for the F-111 Airplane," SAE Technical Paper 650361, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650361.
- Garnjost K. D. and Thayer W. J., “New Servovalves for Redundant Electrohydraulic Control”, Presented at Second Congress of International Federation of Automatic Control at Basle, Switzerland, September 1963.
- Thayer W. J., “Design Considerations for Mechanical Feedback Servoactuators”, Moog Servocontrols, Inc. Technical Bulletin No. 104, April 1964.
- Haugen E. B., “Statistical Methods for Structural Reliability Analysis”, Presented at 10th Annual Symposium on Reliability and Quality Control, Washington, D. C., January 1964.
- Chamberlain B. S., “FC 11 System Tolerance Study”, G. E. / J. C. Project Memorandum 63-51-857, November 22, 1963.
- Hall D. I. and Weppner B. H., “Damper Servoactuator, Sizing Calculations”, Moog Servocontrols, Inc. Report ER-68-A, October 3, 1963.
- “Performance Specification, Servo, Damper”, General Dynamics/Fort Worth ZC00001A, January 1963, Revised September 10, 1964.