This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Retention of Directional Control When Braking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ways of preventing the loss of directional control, which frequently occurs during emergencies, are described. These include special braking techniques, changes in brake distribution, balancing of brake reactions, and nonlocking braking systems.
Details are given of a particular application of a nonlocking braking system. Test results at speeds up to 140 mph of the braking performance and directional stability are given; reductions of up to 35% in braking distances were obtained on some wet surfaces.
Attention is drawn to the considerable reduction in tire adhesion, which occurs when a wheel locks and which can be avoided by antilocking braking systems.
CitationLister, R., "Retention of Directional Control When Braking," SAE Technical Paper 650092, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650092.
- Grime G., “The Importance of Loss of Directional Control in Car Accidents.” IME, Symposium on Control of Vehicles During Braking and Cornering, 1963.
- Starks H. J. H. and Lister R. D., “Experimental Investigations on the Braking Performance of Motor Vehicles.” Proc. IME, Automobile Division, 1 (1954–1955), 31–44.
- Rouse J. A., “The Distribution of Braking on Road Vehicles.” IME, Symposium on Control of Vehicles During Braking and Cornering, 1963.
- . “Dunlop Braking Stabilizer,” Auto. Engr., 53, 7 (1963), 318–320.
- Lister R. D. and Kemp R. N., “Crash Stop. Which Way is Best?”, Autocar, 115, 3434 (1961), 962–964.
- Bird G. and Miller R. A., “Studies in Road Friction, II. An Analysis of the Factors Affecting Measurement.” Dept. Scientific and Industrial Research, Road Research Technical Paper No. 2, London, 1937. (H. M. Stationery Office.)
- . “Antiskid Device,” Auto. Engr., 48, 7 (1958), 248–254.
- Lister R. D. and Kemp R. N., “Skid Prevention,” Auto. Engr., 48, 10 (1958), 382–391.
- . “Ferguson Racing Car,” Auto. Engr., 51, 7 and 8 (1961).
- . “The Fersuson P99. A Technical Analysis,” Autocar, 115 (1961), 3412.
- Lomaka S. I., “An Experimental Investigation of Antilocking Devices for the Vehicle Braking Process,” Avtom. Prom., 12, 12–15 (1963). (In Russian.)
- . “Modulating Control Valve Provides Automatic Braking,” Design News (April 11th, 1960).
- Lepellitier P., “Auto Stable Brakes,” Journee d’etudes la securite par la conception et la construction du vehicle, Brussels, 1963.
- . “Reaction Force Feedback as a Means of Brake Control,” Automotive Design Engng. (March, 1964).