This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Art and Science of Braking Heavy Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1964 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes the functional relationship of the components making up shoe-drum type brake systems for heavy duty on-highway commerical vehicles. Analysis of torque-time traces is believed to be an aid in understanding what takes place at the lining-drum interface.
A contrast between theory and practice is emphasized by discussing vehicle and laboratory testing, the usage of commercial vehicles, and the empiric nature of friction. A hypothetical vehicle is used to illustrate brake engineering practice, but is restricted to load-torque balance and does not concern brake size selection.
CitationMathews, G., "Art and Science of Braking Heavy Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 640795, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640795.
- Hykes Paul G. “Truck Downhill Control - Prediction Procedure,” SAE Paper No. 630A January 1963
- Dix R. E. “Parking Requires Brakes Too,” SAE Paper No. 396A September 1961
- Rabins M. J. Harker R. J. “The Dynamic Frictional Characteristics of Molded Friction Materials,” ASME Paper No. 60-WA-35 November 1960
- Lange Rolf W. “Excavator Clutches and Brakes, Behavior of Drums and Linings,” SAE Paper No. 224C. September 1960
- Sinclair David Gulick W. F. “The Dual Brake Inertia Dynamometer - A New Tool for Brake Testing,” SAE Transactions 71 1963
- “Construction and Operation of Brake Testing Dynamometers,” SAE Paper No. 8 January 1953
- Super R. K. “Review of Brake Designs and Methods of Rating Brakes for Commercial Automotive Vehicles.” SAE Annual Meeting January 1946
- Toghill E. C. Angus H. T. “Cast Iron Brake Drum” Automobile Engineer October 1953
- King John H. Kign Alex F. “Horsepower Rating for Commercial Vehicle Brakes.” SAE Transactions 68 1960
- Fisher D. Paul “The Why and How of Rating Com mercial Vehicle Brakes.” SAE Transactions 70 1962