This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bulldozing Resistance of Plane Blades in Cohesionless Soil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1964 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The prediction of the bulldozing forces on the basis of the geometric properties of the blade and the soil properties is of importance both in the agricultural industry and the construction industry. To achieve this objective, tests with small scale plane blades of various depths of cut, angles of inclination, widths, heights of backface, and blade surfaces were conducted in cohesionless soil. The measured forces were compared with forces obtained using the passive earth pressure theories. A very good correlation between the two was obtained when the blade length was replaced by the perimeter of the cut.
Procedures are presented for the application of the theories to predict the bulldozing forces on actual blades in cohesionless soils.
CitationNelson, R. and Selig, E., "Bulldozing Resistance of Plane Blades in Cohesionless Soil," SAE Technical Paper 640181, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640181.
- Dinglinger E., “Uber den Grabewiderstand (The resistance to digging),” Fordertechnik, Vol. 22, 1920.
- Rathje J., “Der Schnittvergang im Sande (The process of cutting in sand),” V. D. I. Forschungsheft, No. 350, 1931.
- Zelenin A. N., “Fizicheskie Osnovi Teorii Tezaniya Gruntov (Basic theory of the physics of soil cutting),” 1st Ed. Akademii Nauk SSR, Moscow, NIAE Translation, 1950.
- Payne P. C. J., “The Relationship Between the Mechanical Properties of Soil and the Performance of Simple Cultivation Implements,” Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research Vol. 1, (1956), 23-50.
- Panye P. C. J., Ph. D. Thesis, Reading University, England, 1954.
- Tanner D. W., “Further Work on the Relationship between Rake Angle and the Performance of Simple Cultivation Implements,” Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol. 5, (1960), 307-315.
- Reaves C. A., Nichols M. L., and Reed I. F., “Soil Reactions to Plow Share Design,” Agricultural Engineering, (June 1958), 336-339.
- Siemens J. C., Weber J. A., and Thornburn T. H., “Mechanics of Soil Under the Influence of Model Tillage Tools,” Paper submitted to American Society of Agricultural Engineers 1964 Annaul Meeting.
- Drees I. G., “Experiments on the Play of Forces with Flat Excavator Cutting Tools in Medium Sand and Slightly Binding Sandy Silt with Special Consideration of the Leveling Blades and Plane Scraper Bucket Cutting Edges,” Institute for Construction Mechanics and Construction Work of the Rhine Westphalia Institute of Technology, Aachen, Germany.
- Cobb D. E., Cohron G. T., and Gentry J. D., “Scale Model Evaluation of Earthmoving Tools,” 1st International Conference on the Mechanics of Soil-Vehicle Systems, Torino, Italy, 1961.
- Selig E. T. and Nelson R. D., “Observations of Soil Cutting with Blades,” Journal of Terramechanics, Vol. 1, No. 3, 1964.
- Bekker M. G., “Theory of Land Locomotion,” University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1956.
- Hegedus E., “A Simplified Method for the Determination of Bulldozing Resistance,” Ordnance Tank-Automotive Command, Detroit Arsenal, Centerline, Mich., Report No. RR-22, May 1960.
- Scott R. F., “Principles of Soil Mechanics,” Addison Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1963.
- Taylor D. W., “Fundamentals of Soil Mechanics,” New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1948.
- Terzaghi K. and Peck R. B., “Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice,” New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1948.
- Jumikis A. R., “Soil Mechanics,” Princeton, N. J.: D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc., 1962.
- Jumikis A. R., “Active and Passive Earth Pressure Coefficient Tables,” Engineering Research Publication No. 43, Rutgers, The State University, New Jersey, 1962.
- Terzaghi K., “Theoretical Soil Mechanics,” New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1943.
- Caquot A. and Kerisel J., “Traite de Mecanique des Sols,” Gauthier-Villians, Paris, 1949.
- Likander E., “Computer Solution for Passive Pressures on Structures in Cohesive Soils,” Unpublished M.S.C.E. Thesis, Illionis Institute of Technology, 1960.
- Bjerrum L. and Kummeneje O., “Shearing Resistance of Sand Samples with Circular and Rectangular Cross-Sections,” Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Publ. No. 44.