This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applications and Performance Levels of Radial Inflow Turbines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1964 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The radial inflow turbine has found wide application in turbochargers, but only limited application in small gas turbines. It is shown that, when applied within proper design boundaries, efficiencies equal to the best axial flow turbines are obtainable, and that the radial turbine has significant inherent cost advantages. Performance results for fixed and variable nozzle areas are presented, and compared with equivalent axial flow turbine data. Configuration and structural properties are discussed. It is concluded that radial turbines should be considered for problem statements wherein cost, configuration, or special performance advantages outweigh weight and/or diameter considerations.
CitationBenstein, E. and Wood, H., "Applications and Performance Levels of Radial Inflow Turbines," SAE Technical Paper 640045, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640045.
- Roy RayleLt. Col., GravesGilman L.Jr., and JohnsonAnthony F., “The Army-Navy 600 HP Gas Turbine Development Program.” SAE Paper No. 62-450B, January 1962.
- WoodH. J., “Current Technology of Radial-Inflow Turbines for Compressibile Fluids,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Power, Series A, Vol. 84, January 1963.
- CossairtK. R., “A Recirculation Concept,” Proceedings of the National Meeting on Hydrofoils and Air Cushion Vehicles. I.Ae.Sc. Washington, D. C, Sept. 17-18, 1962.
- Von der NuellW. T., “General Design Considerations for Smaller Gas Turbines,” Trans. ASME, Vol. 80, No. 4, May 1958.
- BaljeO. E., “A Study on Design Criteria and Matching of Turbomachines: Part A,” Trans. ASME, Vol. 84, Series A, (1962), 83-102.
- Van NimwegenRobert R., “Transient Temperatures and Thermal Stress Problems in Small Gas Turbines,” ASME 61-GTP-13.
- SpillmanW. “A Comparative Study of Different Arrangements for Changing the Direction of Rotation of Centripetal Turbines,” Escher Wyss News, (1961), 115.
- Von der NuellW. T., “The Challenge of Miniaturizing Turbomachinery,” Interavia, Vol.XVII, No. 8, (August 1962), 1022.