This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Shipboard Vibration and Noise Considerations in the Design of River Towboats
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1964 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The problems of vibration and noise aboard ship have been given increased attention by the Navy since World War II as a result of many technological developments and tactical requirements. Many problem areas are identified and those which have particular application in the design of river towboats are reviewed.
The paper is addressed primarily to the naval architect, shipbuilder, or operator and identifies those areas in which attention should be drawn during design and development. Specific suggestions and specifications are presented, based on current naval practice.
CitationNoonan, E. and Zaloumis, A., "Shipboard Vibration and Noise Considerations in the Design of River Towboats," SAE Technical Paper 640024, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640024.
- Harris Crede “Shock and Vibration Handbook,” I New York McGraw Hill 1961
- Leibowitz R. C. Kennard E. H. “Theory of Freely Vibrating Nonuniform Beams, Including Methods of Solution and Application to Ships,” DTMB Report 1317 May 1961
- Wendel Kurt “ Hydrodynamic Masses and Hydrodynamic Moments of Inertia,” (Jahrb. d. STG 44 1950 DTMB Translation 260 July 1956
- Price R. L. “Vibration Generators at the David Taylor Model Basin,” Structural Mechanics Laboratory, Technical Notes, SML-760-38 October 1962 *
- Ormondroyd J. et al “Dynamics of a Ship's Structure,” Engineering Research Institute, University of Michigan, Final Report March 1949
- McGoldrick R. T. Russo V. L. “Hull Vibration Investigation on SS GOPHERMARINER,” Translation S.N.A.M.E. 63 1955
- McGoldrick R. T. “Ship Vibration,” TMB Report 1451 December 1960
- Todd F. H. “Ship Hull Vibration,” Edward Arnold London 1961
- MIL-STD-167 (Ships) dated Dec. 20 1954
- Michel R. “Interim Design Data Sheets S4301 - Propulsion Shafting,” Dept. of the Navy, Bureau of Ships 1960
- B.I.C.E.R.A., Handbook on Torsional Vibration Cambridge University Press 1958
- Kane J. R. McGoldrick R. T. “Longitudinal Vibrations of Marine Propulsion - Shafting Systems,” Trans. S.N.A.M.E. 57
- Harris Cyril M. “Handbook of Noise Control,” New York McGraw-Hill 1957 24 25
- Sykes A. “Gear Hobbing and Shaving,” David Brown Industries Limited, Huddersfield 1956
- Savacchio A. N. “The Basic Sources of Noise in Diesel Engines,” Material Laboratory Naval Shipyard New York Report NS 713-202 April 4 1961
- Vane Francis F. “A Guide for the Selection and Application of Resilient Mountings to Shipboard Equipment,” DTMB Report 880 July 1954
- Military Specification, MIL-G-20241B Jan. 20 1953
- Mare Island Naval Shipyard Report No. 94-36 Jan. 18 1962
- Military Specification, MIL-P-22851A May 5 1961
- Simowitz A. Savacchio A. N. “Report of Development of Acoustically Treated Control Rooms in Ma chinery Spaces of MSO 421 Class Minesweepers.” Report NS 713-210 June 18 1956