This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Distribution Studies - A New Look at an Old Problem
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1963 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two principal aspects of fuel distribution in multicylinder engines have been investigated; namely, time variation (cycle-to-cycle) of air-fuel ratio in a given cylinder and geometric variation (cylinder-to-cylinder) of air-fuel ratio in different cylinders.
To study the time variation problem, a new technique capable of measuring the air-fuel ratio for individual engine explosions has been developed. An analytical study has provided a correlation between power loss and fuel economy loss with the statistical variance of geometric distribution.
To determine the possible cause of geometric maldistribution, a series of experiments using a gaseous fuel to simulate complete vaporization was conducted. The effects of various means of mixing the fuel and air on geometric distribution are discussed.
CitationYu, H., "Fuel Distribution Studies - A New Look at an Old Problem," SAE Technical Paper 630485, 1963, https://doi.org/10.4271/630485.
- Bowditch. F. W. M Private communication, Research Laboratories, General Motors Corp.
- Jackson, M. W. Wiese, W. M. Wentworth, J. T. The Influence of Air-Fuel Ratio, Spark Timing, and Combustion Chamber Deposits on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions Paper presented at SAE Automobile Week Meeting,Detroit, March 1962
- D’Alleva B. A. Lovell, W. G. Relation of Exhaust Gas Composition to Air-Fuel Ratio SAE Journal 38 3 March 1936 90 98 116
- Combustion Control: Cities Service Heat Prover Steel Magazine, 117 December 10 1945 134
- Wilson, R. A. Understanding Torsional Vibration GM Engineering Journal 9 1 1962
- Bayer, E. Gas Chromatography Elsevier Publishing Company 1961
- Gerrish H. C. Voss, F. Mixture Distribution in a Single-Row Radial Engine NACA TN No. 583 Oct. 1936
- Blackwood, A. J. Kass, C. B. Lewis, O. G. MultiCylinder Engine Detonation and Mixture Distribution SAE Transactions 34 1939 125 140
- Walcutt C. Gibson, H. J. Fuel Distribution in Multi-Cylinder Engines and Its Effects on Knocking and Performance Paper presented at SAE Annual Meeting, January 1940
- Cooper, D. E. Courtney, R. L. Hall, C. A. Radioactive Tracers Cast New Light on Fuel Distribution Paper presented at SAE Annual Meeting, Detroit, January 1959
- Zucrow, M. J. Fuel-Air Mixture Distribution SAE Journal 25 4 Oct. 1929
- Hull W. L. Parker, N. A. Fuel Volatility-Its Effects on Performance and Distribution SAE Quarterly Transactions 1 1947 185 191
- Coward H. F. Jones, G. W. Limits of Flamma-bility of Gases and Vapors Bureau of Mines Bulletin 503 1952
- Lewis B. von Elbe, G. Combustion, Flame and Explosions of Gases. Academic Press 1951 459 479
- Soltau, J. P. Cylinder Pressure Variations in Petrol Engines Proc. Institute of Mechanical Engineers, No. 2 1960-61