This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automatic Transmission Fluid - Component Effects on Friction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1963 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes friction studies conducted with the General Motors Low Velocity Friction Apparatus. Data are presented to show: (1) Friction properties of a series of base oils. (2) Two commercial automatic transmission fluids and effects on friction when they are mixed. (3) A method of grouping additives according to their activity for one combination of friction specimens. (4) Some effects of a second type of friction specimen. (5) The friction properties of components used in designing two experimental automatic transmission fluids.
|Technical Paper||ATF–TYPE F Keeps Pace with Fill-for-Life Requirements|
|Technical Paper||Considerations in Design of a Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||SAE No. 2 Friction Test Machine Durability Test|
CitationNewingham, T., "Automatic Transmission Fluid - Component Effects on Friction," SAE Technical Paper 630442, 1963, https://doi.org/10.4271/630442.
- Watt A. K. and Duckworth, R. J. “Automatic Transmission Fluid: A Dynamic Material Keeping Pace with Ever Changing Requirements.” Paper 150, ASTM, Sept. 30, 1962 Los Angeles.
- Haviland M. L. and Rodgers, J. J. “Frictional Characteristics of Automatic Transmission Fluids as Related to Transmission operation.” ASLE, April 1960.
- Haviland M. L. and Rodgers, J. J. “Friction of Transmission-Clutch Materials as Affected by Fluids, Additives, and Oxidation”. Paper presented at SAE Summer Meeting, June 1960.
- Calish, S. R. “CRC Research Techniques for Automatic Transmission Fluids.” ASTM, Sept. 30, 1962, Los Angeles.
- Sprague S. R. and Woodruff, R. L. “Factory-Service Automatic Transmission Fluid Requirements.” ASTM, Sept. 30, 1962, Los Angeles.
- Albertson C. E. and Okerbo, H. S. “Influence of Lubricant Breakdown on Frictional Performance.” SAE Paper 642C, January, 1963, Detroit.
- Davison, E. D. “A New Bench Test for Evaluating Clutch Plate Lubrication.” SAE Paper, January 1963.
- Haviland, M. L. Rodgers, J. J. and Davison, E. D. “Surface Temperatures and Friction in Lubricated Clutches.” SAE Paper, January 1963, Detroit.
- Bozzelli, A. J. “Designing an Automatic Transmission Fluid.” SAE Paper 31T, January 1959.
- Sprague S. R. and Cunningham, R. G. “Control of the Frictional Characteristics of Lubricants with Chemical Additives.” Dev. of Pet. Chem. ACS Meeting, 1958.
- Smith, G. R. Jandasek, V. J. Sprague, S. R. and Singer, R. B. “A New Concept of Measuring Frictional Characteristics,” Paper 363A, SAE Summer Meeting, 1961.
- Winchell F. J. and Route, W. D. “Ratio Changing the Passenger Car Automatic Transmission,” SAE Paper 311A, January 1961.