This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A NEW BENCH TEST FOR EVALUATING CLUTCH PLATE LUBRICATION
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1963 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new, low cost, simple and compact bench type machine has been developed for investigating automatic transmission clutch plate lubrication. The energy absorbed per unit of clutch facing area during clutch engagement is comparable to that absorbed by the clutch during a full-throttle upshift in a car. The machine uses full-size clutch plates and requires a 13-ounce sample of fluid. Condition of the clutch plates after running under cycling conditions correlates with that found in an engine-transmission-dynamometer cycling test.
CitationDavison, E., "A NEW BENCH TEST FOR EVALUATING CLUTCH PLATE LUBRICATION," SAE Technical Paper 630029, 1963, https://doi.org/10.4271/630029.
- Smith, G. R. Jandasek, V. J. Sprague, S. R. Singer, R. B. “A New Concept of Measuring Frictional Characteristics” Society of Automotive Engineers Meeting 1961
- Harvie, R. E. Nash, E. L. Clark, J. W. “Development of Transaxle Fluid for Chevrolet Corvair” Society of Automotive Engineers Meeting January 11 1960
- Kehrl, H. H. Marsh, M. R. Gallant, R. A. “Automatic Transmission Testing” Society of Automotive Engineers Meeting March 16-18 1959
- Froslie, L. E. Milek, T. Smith, R. W. “Automatic Transmission Friction Elements” Society of Automotive Engineers Meeting January 9-13 1961
- Davison, E. D. “The Effect of Lubricant on Automatic Transmission Clutch Plate Durability” American Society for Testing Materials Meeting October 1 1962
- Haviland, M. L. Rodgers, J. J. Davison, E. D. “Surface Temperatures and Friction in Lubricated Clutches” Society of Automotive Engineers Meeting January 17 1963
- Hunstad, N. A. Wilkins, R. A. Osborne, R. E. Davison, E. D. “Developing Transaxle Fluid” Society of Automotive Engineers Transactions 68 1960 685 698
- Rodgers, J. J. Haviland, M. L. “Friction of Transmission Clutch Materials as Affected by Fluids, Additives, and Oxidation” Society of Automotive Engineers Meeting June 5-10 1960
- Haviland, M. L. Rodgers, J. J. “Friction Characteristics of Automatic Transmission Fluids as Related to Transmission Operation” Lubricating Engineering 17 3 March 1961
- Hewitt, D. C. Reighard, N. W. “Automatic Transmission Fluid” Society of Automotive Engineers Meeting June 11-15 1962