This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Minimum Weight Design of Tank Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1962 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper defines the geometry of minimum weight tank structures of given enclosed volume. A tank structure is considered to comprise a circular cylindrical shell (monocoque or stiffened), bulkheads, and skirt structures. The analyses, starting from established criteria of failure, apply to the loading cases of longitudinal compression and bending moments in combination with internal pressure. The bulkhead geometries are flat, hemispherical, and ellipsoidal. For monocoque shells, the analyses yield the radius and wall thicknesses prescribing a minimum total weight of cylindrical tank wall, bulkheads, and skirts (unpressurized cylindrical appendages, for example, interstage structure). For stiffened shells, the analyses yield the tank radius, skin gauge, stringer spacing, and frame spacing prescribing a minimum total tank weight. An optimum relative geometry is defined for three types of stringers.
CitationJones, T., "The Minimum Weight Design of Tank Structures," SAE Technical Paper 620363, 1962, https://doi.org/10.4271/620363.
- Harris L. A. Suer H. S. Shene W. T., and Benjamin R. J., “The Stability of Thin-Walled Unstiffened Circular Cylinders Under Axial Compression Including the Effects of Internal Pressure.” J.A.S., Vol. 24, No. 8 (Aug. 1957), 587-596.
- Harris L. A. Suer H. S. Shene W. T., and Benjamin R. J., “The Bending Stability of Thin-Walled Unstiffened Circular Cylinders Including the Effects of Internal Pressure.” J.A.S., Vol. 25, No. 5 (May 1958).
- Farrar D. J. “The Design of Compression Structures for Minimum Weight.” J.R.A.S. (1949).
- Zahorski A. “Effects of Material Distribution on Strength of Panels.” J.A.S. (1944).
- Becker H. “Handbook of Structural Stability: PT VI, Strength of Stiffened Curved Plates and Shells.” NACA TN 3786 (1958).
- Gerard G. “Minimum Weight Analysis of Compression Structures.” NYU Press, NY (1956).
- “Some Investigations of the General Instability of Stiffened Metal Cylinders: PT V, Stiffened Metal Cylinders Subjected to Pure Bending.” GALCIT, NACA TN 90 (1943).
- Dunn L. G. “Some Investigations of the General Instability of Stiffened Metal Cylinders: PT IX, Criteria for the Design of Stiffened Metal Cylinders Subject to General Instability Failure.” NACA TN 1198 (1947).
- Sandorff P. E. “Structures Considerations in Design for Space Boosters.” A. R. S. Jour. (Nov. 1960).
- Schuette E. H. “Charts for the Minimum-Weight Design of 29S-T Aluminum Alloy Flat Compression Panels With Longitudinal Z-Section Stiffness.” NACARpt. No. 827 (1945).
- Gallagher G. L. and Booghan R. B. “A Method of Calculating the Compressive Strength of Stiffened Panels That Develop Local Instability.” NACA TN 1482 (1947).
- Shanley F. R. “Simplified Analysis of General Instability of Stiffened Shells in Pure Bending.” J. A. S., Vol. 16, No. 10 (Oct. 1949), 590-592.