This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automatic Transmission Fluid Viscosity at Low Temperature and its effect on transmission performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1960 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A LOW-TEMPERATURE study of the relationship between the performance of a step-type automatic transmission and the transmission fluid viscosity is reported in this paper.
It is shown that the low-temperature malfunction of these units is due to the viscometric properties of the fluid and that at the temperature at which the fluid reaches a certain critical viscosity the transmission will fail. A mathematical analysis of the mechanism of failure supports the conclusions drawn from the experimental study.*
CitationSelby, T., "Automatic Transmission Fluid Viscosity at Low Temperature and its effect on transmission performance," SAE Technical Paper 600049, 1960, https://doi.org/10.4271/600049.
- Poiseuille. J. L. M. Mém. Savants Etrangers Vol. 9 1846 433
- Hagenbach. Pogg. Ann. Vol. 109 1860 385
- 3 Kroepelin. H. Kolloid Zeitschrift 1929 294
- “Proposed Automatic Transmission Fluid Specifications,” Hunstad, Norman A. secretary, General Motors Committee on Automatic Transmission Fluid Jan. 14 1959
- “Low-Temperature Setup Described,” Koenig. E. E. SAE Journal Vol. 64 November 1956 26 27