This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Vaporization and Ignition Las in Diesel Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1956 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
AN analysis of phenomena occurring during the ignition delay period is presented. Vaporization of atomized fuel is shown to take place under conditions ranging between single droplet and adiabatic saturation from edge to center of the spray. Mechanisms of vaporization and combustible mixture formation are presented for both cases.
Correlation of theoretical analysis with experimental data from both a combustion bomb and diesel engine is presented to establish actual conditions existing during vaporization. Estimates of physical and chemical delays for the engine and bomb are given.
CitationEl Wakil, M., Myers, P., and Uyehara, O., "Fuel Vaporization and Ignition Las in Diesel Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 560063, 1956, https://doi.org/10.4271/560063.
- SAE Quarterly Transactions Vol. 4 April 1950 232 274 “Ignition of Fuels by Rapid Compression,” Taylor, C. F. Taylor, E. S. Osgood, J. C. Russell, W. A. Leary W. A.
- NACA TM 797 1936 “Ignition Process in Diesel Engines,” Wentzel W.
- NACA TM 891 1939 “Theoretical and Experimental Study of Ignition Lag and Engine Knock,” Schmidt F. A. F.
- NACA TR 435 1932 “Fuel Vaporization and Its Effect on Combustion in High-Speed Compression-Ignition Engine,” Rothrock A. M. Waldron C. D.
- SAE Transactions Vol. 53 December 1945 719 735 “Slow-Motion Study of Injection and Compression of Fuel in Diesel Engine,” Miller C. D.
- Coordinating Research Council Diesel Bomb Advisory Group Progress Report February 1951 “Combustion Characteristics Ignition Delay Bomb.”
- Engineer, Vol. 164 Dec. 10 1937 668 “Vagaries of Internal Combustion,” Small J.
- NACA TM 659 1932 “Disintegration of Liquid Jet,” Haenlein A.
- Bureau of Standards Journal of Research March 1931 369 376 “Mechanism of Atomization of Liquids,” Castleman, R. A. Jr
- NACA TR 440 1932 “Mechanism of Atomization Accompanying Solid Injection,” Castleman, R. A. Jr
- Pennsylvania State College Engineering Experiment Station Bulletin No. 40 August 1932 “On Formation and Dispersion of Oil Sprays,” Dejuhasz, K. J. Zahn, O. F. Schweitzer P. H.
- NACA TR 425 1932 “Effect of Nozzle Design and Operating Conditions on Atomization and Distribution of Fuel Sprays,” Lee D. W.
- NACA TR 454 1933 “Photomicrographic Studies of Fuel Sprays,” Lee D. W. Spencer R. C.
- NACA TR 438 1932 “Experiments on Distribution of Fuel in Fuel Sprays,” Lee D. W.
- NACA Report 565 1936 “Measurements of Fuel Distribution within Sprays for Fuel-Injection Engines,” Lee D. W.
- ASME Transactions Vol. 74 1952 1157 1162 “Photographic Analysis of Sprays,” York J. L. Stubbs H. E.
- “Effects of Additives on Diesel Combustion Process,” Chow, W. Uyehara, O. A. Myers P. S. Paper presented at SAE National Diesel-Engine Meeting St. Louis Oct. 31 1952
- “Characteristics of Sprays and Droplets,” Pilcher J. M. Paper presented at Conference on Atomization, Sprays, and Droplets September 1953 Technological Institute Northwestern University
- “Experimental and Calculated Temperature and Mass Histories of Vaporizing Fuel Drops,” El Wakil, M. M. Priem, R. J. Brikowski, H. J. Myers, P. S. Uyehara O. A. NACA
- NACA TN 3179 1954 “Theoretical Investigation of Heating-up Period of Injected Fuel Droplets Vaporizing in Air,” El Wakil, M. M. Uyehara, O. A. Myers P. S.
- “Experimental and Calculated Temperature and Mass Histories of Vaporizing Fuel Drops Part II,” Priem, R. J. Borman, G. L. El Wakil, M. M. Uyehara, O. A. Myers P. S. Report prepared under NACA Contract Naw-6358 August 1955
- Forschungsheft 382, Beilage zu Forschung auf dem Gebiete des Ingenieurwesens January-February 1937 “Wärmeübergang und molekulare Stoffübertragung im gleichen bei grossen Temperatur und Partial-druckdifferenzer,” Ackerman G.
- SAE Journal, Vol. 63 September 1955 18 25 “Hear No Noise, See No Smoke with New German Diesel,” Meurer J. S.
- NACA TM 790 1936 “Ignition and Flame Development in Case of Diesel Fuel Injection,” Holfelder, O.
- Proceedings of Royal Society of London Vol. A 203 1950 486 501 “Kinetics of Thermal Decomposition of Normal Paraffin Hydrocarbons. III Activation Energies and Possible Mechanisms of Molecular Reactions,” Ingold, K. U. Stubbs, F. J. Hinshelwood C. N.
- Proceedings of Royal Society of London Vol. A 214 1952 471 481 “Activation Energies and Frequency Factors in Thermal Decomposition of Paraffin Hydrocarbons,” Peard, M. G. Stubbs, F. J. Hinshelwood C. N.
- Proceedings of Royal Society of London Vol. A 214 1952 20 35 “Kinetics of Thermal Decomposition of Normal Paraffin Hydrocarbons. V Order of Reaction over Extended Ranges of Pressure,” Stubbs, F. J. Ingold, K. U. Spall, C. B. Danby, C. J. Hinshelwood C. N.
- 2099 “Science of Petroleum.” Vol. III. “Theory of Cracking,” Frolich P. K. Fulton S. C. Oxford Press London 1938
- “Selected Values of Physical and Thermodynamic Properties of Hydrocarbon and Related Compounds.” American Petroleum Institute and Carnegie Press 1953