This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Brake System Parameters Using Genetic Algorithm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 05, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design of brake system specification is an iterative process, where repeated calculations need to be performed to achieve the target brake performance and finalize the system parameters. Hence there is a need for a methodology to arrive at a set of optimized brake system parameters which can in turn reduce the brake system definition time. In this paper, the brake system dynamics of a passenger/commercial vehicle is mathematically modelled (divided into two parts i) foundation brake model ii) brake apply system model) and uses genetic algorithm to optimize the system parameters. The objective function maximizes the vehicle deceleration and arrives at the target brake feel which includes brake pedal effort and brake pedal travel. When compared to conventional method of brake design which uses iterative approach, this method has the capability to arrive at the optimized results at a faster rate.
CitationVelumani, S. and Balasubramani, A., "Optimization of Brake System Parameters Using Genetic Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-1881, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-1881.
- Park , S. Effect of Brake Pedal Impedance on Braking Performance in Eh-BBW System International Journal of Automotive Technology 6 391 402
- Bill , K. , Semsch , M. , and Breuer , B. A New Approach to Investigate the Vehicle Interface Driver/Brake Pedal Under real Road Conditions in View of Oncoming Brake-BY-Wire Systems SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2949 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2949
- Gutknecht , M.J. , Schneidewend , D.R. , Moskwa , J.J. , Kime , C.R. et al. Fault Tolerance Analysis of Alternate Automotive Brake System Designs SAE Technical Paper 930511 1993 https://doi.org/10.4271/930511
- Sheridan , D.C. and Chang , H.Y. A Requirement Driven Design Methodology for a Vehicle Brake System SAE Technical Paper 930800 1993 https://doi.org/10.4271/930800
- Limpert , R. Brake Design and Safety 3rd SAE International