This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Reconfigurable Battery Topology for Cell Balancing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a novel reconfigurable battery balancing topology and reinforcement learning-based intelligent balancing management system. The different degradations cause a significant loss of battery pack available capacity, as the pack power output relies on the weakest cell due to the relevant physical requirements. To handle this capacity drop issue, a reconfigurable battery topology is adopted to improve the usability of the heterogeneous battery. There are some existing battery reconfigurable topologies in the literature. However, these studies rely on the limited options of topology designs, and there is a lack of study on the reconfigurability of these designs and other possible new designs. Also, it is rare to find an optimal management system for the reconfigurable battery topology. To fill these research gaps, this paper explores existing battery reconfigurable topology designs and proposes a new reconfigurable topology for battery balancing. Besides, the battery reconfigurability problem is modeled as an optimization problem, and the balancing time and total power output are modeled as objective functions. Then, a reinforcement learning-based intelligent management system is proposed to identify the best battery topology for minimizing equalization time and battery degradation for heterogeneously degraded batteries. The simulation results show that the proposed method can effectively balance the inhomogeneous battery cell and alleviate battery degradation.
CitationYe, Y. and Zhang, J., "A Reconfigurable Battery Topology for Cell Balancing," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-1683, 2023.
- Wei , Z. , Zhao , J. , He , H. , Ding , G. et al. Future Smart Battery and Management: Advanced Sensing from External to Embedded Multi-Dimensional Measurement J. Power Sources 489 2021 229462 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2021.229462
- Wei , Z. , Zhao , D. , He , H. , Cao , W. et al. A Noise-Tolerant Model Parameterization Method for Lithium-Ion Battery Management System Appl. Energy 268 2020 114932 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.114932
- Ci , S. , Zhang , J. , Sharif , H. , and Alahmad , M. A Novel Design of Adaptive Reconfigurable Multicell Battery for Power-Aware Embedded Networked Sensing Systems IEEE GLOBECOM 2007-2007 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference Washington, DC IEEE 2007 1043 1047 10.1109/GLOCOM.2007.201
- Kim , T. , Qiao , W. , and Qu , L. Power Electronics-Enabled Self-X Multicell Batteries: A Design toward Smart Batteries IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 27 11 2012 4723 4733 10.1109/TPEL.2012.2183618
- Ci , S. , Lin , N. , and Wu , D. Reconfigurable Battery Techniques and Systems: A Survey IEEE Access 4 2016 1175 1189 10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2545338
- Schmid , M. , Gebauer , E. , and Endisch , C. Structural Analysis in Reconfigurable Battery Systems for Active Fault Diagnosis IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 36 8 2021 8672 8684 10.1109/TPEL.2021.3049573
- Lin , N. , Ci , S. , and Wu , D. A Novel Low-Cost Online State of Charge Estimation Method for Reconfigurable Battery Pack 2016 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC) 3189 3192 2016 10.1109/APEC.2016.7468321
- Kleiner , J. , Heider , A. , Komsiyska , L. , Elger , G. et al. Thermal Behavior of Intelligent Automotive Lithium-Ion Batteries: Experimental Study with Switchable Cells and Reconfigurable Modules J. Energy Storage 44 2021 103274 10.1016/j.est.2021.103274
- He , L. , Kong , L. , Lin , S. , Ying , S. et al. RAC: Reconfiguration-Assisted Charging in Large-Scale Lithium-Ion Battery Systems IEEE Trans. Smart Grid 7 3 2016 1420 1429 10.1109/TSG.2015.2450727
- Zhu , D. , Pritchard , E. , Dadam , S.R. , Kumar , V. et al. Optimization of Rule-Based Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Vehicles Using Dynamic Programming Combust. Engines 184 1 2021 3 10 10.19206/CE-131967
- Hu , Y. , Zhang , J. , Wu , J. , Cao , W. et al. Efficiency Improvement of Nonuniformly Aged PV Arrays IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 32 2 2017 1124 1137 10.1109/TPEL.2016.2544842
- Ye , Y. , Zhang , J. , Pilla , S. , Rao , A.M. et al. Application of a New Type of Lithium-Sulfur Battery and Reinforcement Learning in Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management J. Energy Storage 59 2023 106546 10.1016/j.est.2022.106546
- Bertsekas , D. Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control Athena Scientific 2019 978-1-886529-39-7
- Ye , Y. , Wang , H. , Xu , B. , and Zhang , J. An Imitation Learning-Based Energy Management Strategy for Electric Vehicles Considering Battery Aging Energy 2023 128537 10.1016/j.energy.2023.128537
- Kim , H. and Shin , K.G. Scheduling of Battery Charge, Discharge, and Rest 2009 30th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium Washington DC IEEE 2009 13 22 10.1109/RTSS.2009.38
- Kim , H. and Shin , K.G. On Dynamic Reconfiguration of a Large-Scale Battery System 2009 15th IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium 87 96 2009 10.1109/RTAS.2009.13