This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Admixture Evaluation for Fuel Economy and Emissions by New Indian Motorcycle Driving Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research evaluates the fuel economy and emissions of admixtures called gasoline multifunction additive (GMFA) and 10% ethanol blended gasoline against neat gasoline using newly developed Indian Motorcycle Driving Cycle with a BS VI motorcycle, also compared the performance of new cycle with the WMTC for the driving cycle parameters, fuel economy and emissions. The vehicles fuel economy and emissions factors are influenced by not only vehicle type, but also the road infrastructure and traffic patterns followed. The standard driving cycles do not replicate the real-world fuel economy and emissions as these cycles are very old and do not represent current traffic scenario.
A real-world driving cycle was made based on micro-trips approach by analyzing the real-world time-speed data collected in four different pre-determined routes in Delhi-NCR region.. The developed cycle was validated on chassis dynamometer with neat gasoline, admixture gasoline (gasoline blended with multifunctional additive and 10% ethanol blended gasoline) and compared the performance with WMTC.
The fuel economy of new cycle was found lower than the WMTC by 0.5% to 1.5%. The emissions measured were higher than the WMTC by 104.4% to 120.2% for CO, and 13.4% to 24.1% for HC, 0.9% to 4.5% for CO2 emissions and a mixed trend was observed for NOx emissions. The higher vehicular emissions and lower fuel economy show that the new cycle is more severe than the WMTC cycle representing the real-world driving pattern in India. The fuel economy and emissions comparison of admixture gasoline and E10 gasoline against neat gasoline show clear discrimination among the fuels blends; hence the adoption of new cycle for fuel economy and emissions of new generation motorcycles will be more appropriate in India. This study has demonstrated the influence of traffic and road infrastructure on vehicular emissions, and can be used by policy makers to regulate the vehicular pollution in the country.
CitationSithananthan, M., Kumar, R., and Saxena, D., "Admixture Evaluation for Fuel Economy and Emissions by New Indian Motorcycle Driving Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0886, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-0886.
- Regan , H. 2020
- Ramachandran , S. , Kedia , S. , and Srivastava , R. Aerosol Optical Depth Trends Over Different Regions of India Atmos. Environ. 49 2012 338 347
- Bernard , S. and Kazmin , A. 2018 . .
- Goel , R. and Guttikunda , S.K. Evolution of On-Road Vehicle Exhaust Emission in Delhi Atmospheric Environment 105 2015 78 90
- Bhattarcharji , C. and Achom , D. 2022 https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/delhi-is-worlds-most-polluted-capital-for-2nd-straight-year-report-2836028
- Shrikant , S. 2021 https://www.livemint.com/news/india/
- Gurjar , B.R. , Ravindra , K. , and Nagpure , A.S. Air Pollution Trends Over Indian Megacities and their Local-to-Global Implications Atmospheric Environment 142 2016 475 495
- Topacoglu , H. , Katsakoglou , S. , and Ipekci , A. Effect of Exhaust Emissions on Carbon Monoxide Levels in Employees Working at Indoor Car Wash Facilities Hippokratia 18 1 2014 37
- Choudhary , A. and Gokhale , S. Urban Real-World Driving Traffic Emissions During Interruption and Congestion Transport. Res. D: Transp. Environ. 43 2016 59 70
- Praveen , P.S. and Arasan , V.T. Influence of Traffic Mix on PCU Value of Vehicles Under Heterogeneous Traffic Conditions Int. J. Traffic Transp. Eng. 3 3 2013 302 330 Reynolds, C.C.O.
- Kandlikar , M. and Badami , M.G. Determinants of PM and GHG Emissions from Natural Gas-Fueled Auto-Rickshaws in Delhi Transport. Res. D:Transp. Environ. 16 2 2011 160 165
- Kathuria , V. Vehicular Pollution Control in Delhi Transportation Research Part D Transport and Environment 7 5 2002 373 387
- Adak , P. , Sahu , R. , and Elumalai , S.P. Development of Emission Factors for Motorcycles and Shared Auto-Rickshaws Using Real-World Driving Cycle for a Typical Indian City Sci. Total Environ. 544 2016 299 308
- Srinath , M. , Gitakrishnan , R. , and Shiva , N.S.M. Real-World Emissions of Gaseous Pollutants from Motorcycles on Indian Urban Arterials Transportation Research Part D76 2019 72 84
- Chugh , S. , Kumar , P. , Muralidharan , M. , Kumar , M.B. et al. Development of Delhi Driving Cycle: A Tool For Realistic Assessment of Exhaust Emissions From Passenger Cars in Delhi SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0877 2012 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0877
- Gebisa , A. , Gebresenbet , G. , Gopal , R. , and Nallamothu , R.B. Driving Cycles for Estimating Vehicle Emissions Levels and Energy Consumption Future Transp. 1 2021 615 638
- Chandrashekar , C. , Agrawal , P. , Chatterjee , P. , and Pawar , D.S. Development of E-Rickshaw Driving Cycle (Erdc) Based on Micro-Trip Segments Using Random Selection and K-Means Clustering Techniques IATSS Res. 45 4 2021 551 560
- Xiao , Z. , Dui-Jia , Z. , and Jun-Min , S. A Synthesis of Methodologies and Practices for Developing Driving Cycles Energy Procedia. 16 2012 1868 1873
- Pegah , N. and Catherine , M. Evaluating Microtrip Definitions for Developing Driving Cycles Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2627 2017 86 92
- Steven , H. 2002
- Bokare , P.S. and Maurya , A.K. Study of Effect of Speed, Acceleration and Deceleration of Small Petrol Car on its Tail Pipe Emissions International Journal for Traffic and Transport Engineering 3 4 2013 465 478
- Asraf , E. Investigations on the Effects of Ethanol-Methanol-Gasoline Blends in a Spark-Ignition Engine: Performance and Emissions Analysis Engineering Science and Technology 2015 1 7
- Felipede , O.G. , EmíliaSavioli , L. , MelinaSavioli , L. , and RubensMaciel , F. Evaluation of the feasibility of ethanol and gasoline in solid oxide fuel cell vehicles in Brazil International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 46 73 2021 2021 36381 36397
- Mortadha , K. , Mohammeda Hyder , H. , Ballaab Zaid , M.H. , Al-Dulaimib Zaid , S. et al. Effect of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends on SI Engine Performance and Emissions Case studies in Thermal Enginerring 25 2021 100891
- Samuel , R.V. , Arasu , A. , and Sornakumar , T. Effect of Gasoline - Ethanol Blends on Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Single Cylinder Air Cooled Motor Bike SI Engine Journal of Engineering Science and Technology 10 12 2015 1540 1552
- Pooja , Y. 2022 https://www.indiatimes.com/explainers/news/what-is-ethanol-blending-and-how-can-it-reduce-imports-of-petroleum-572254.html