This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Particulate Filter Durability Performance Comparison Using Metals Doped B20 vs. Conventional Diesel Part I: Accelerated Ash Loading and DPF Performance Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The project objective was to generate experimental data to evaluate the impact of metals doped B20 on DPF ash loading and performance compared to that of conventional petrodiesel. Accelerated ash loading was conducted on two DPFs – one exposed to regular diesel fuel and the other to B20 containing metal dopants equivalent to 4 ppm B100 total metals (currently total metals are limited to 10 ppm in ASTM D6751, the standard for B100). Periodic performance evaluations were conducted on the DPFs at 10 g/L ash loading intervals. After the evaluations at 30 g/L, the DPF was cleaned with a commercial DPF cleaning machine and another round of DPF evaluations were conducted. A comparison of the effect of ash loading with the two fuels and DPF cleaning is presented. The metals doped B20 fuel resulted in ash that was similar to that deposited when exposed to ULSD (lube oil ash) and exhibited similar ash cleaning removal efficiency. Metals doped B20 resulted in faster ash accumulation within the DPF, as expected, but did not appear to have a negative effect on DPF pressure drop or regeneration rates (up to 30 g/L of ash) or exhibit deleterious physical effects on the DPF substrate.
CitationLakkireddy, V., McCormick, R., Weber, P., and Howell, S., "Diesel Particulate Filter Durability Performance Comparison Using Metals Doped B20 vs. Conventional Diesel Part I: Accelerated Ash Loading and DPF Performance Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0297, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-0297.
- Xu , H. , Ou , L. , Li , Y. , Hawkins , T.R. et al. Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Production in the United States Envir. Sci. Tech. 56 2022 7512 7521
- Young , L.H. , Liou , Y.J. , Cheng , M.T. , Lu , J.H. et al. Effects of Biodiesel, Engine Load and Diesel Particulate Filter on Nonvolatile Particle Number Size Distributions in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Exhaust J. Hazardous Mat. 199-200 2012 282
- Hoekman , S.K. , Broch , A. , Robbins , C. , Ceniceros , E. et al. Review of Biodiesel Composition, Properties, and Specifications Renew. Sus. Energy Rev. 16 2012 143 169
- Alleman , T.L. May 2021
- Williams , A. , Luecke , J. , McCormick , R.L. , Brezny , R. et al. Impact of Biodiesel Impurities on the Performance and Durability of DOC, DPF and SCR Technologies SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1136 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1136
- Lance , M. , Wereszczak , A. , Toops , T.J. , Ancimer , R. et al. Evaluation of Fuel-Borne Sodium Effects on a DOC-DPF-SCR Heavy-Duty Engine Emission Control System: Simulation of Full-Useful Life SAE Int J. Fuels Lubr. 9 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2322
- Sappok , A.G. , Beauboeuf , D. , and Wong , V.W. A Novel Accelerated Aging System to Study Lubricant Additive Effects on Diesel Aftertreatment System Degradation SAE Int J. Fuels Lubr. 1 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1549
- Williams , A. , McCormick , R. , Lance , M. , Xie , C. et al. Effect of Accelerated Aging Rate on the Capture of Fuel-Borne Metal Impurities by Emissions Control Devices SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr . 7 2 471 479 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1500
- Eakle , S. , Avery , S. , Weber , P. , and Henry , C. Comparison of Accelerated Ash Loading Methods for Gasoline Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1703 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1703
- Bardasz , E. , Cowling , S. , Panesar , A. , Durham , J. et al. Effects of Lubricant Derived Chemistries on Performance of the Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2168 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2168
- Sutton , M. , Britton , N. , Otterholm , B. , Tengström , P. et al. Investigations into Lubricant Blocking of Diesel Particulate Filters SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3013 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3013
- Aravelli , K. and Heibel , A. Improved Lifetime Pressure Drop Management for Robust Cordierite (RC) Filters with Asymmetric Cell Technology (ACT) SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0920 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0920
- Wang , Y. , Kamp , C.J. , Wang , Y. , Toops , T.J. et al. The Origin, Transport, and Evolution of Ash in Engine Particulate Filters Applied Energy 263 9 2020 114631 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.114631