This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Characterization of Active Grille Shutter Loads for Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 14, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work is developed in the framework of an industrial R&D project, titled ARIA (Active Responsive Intelligent Aerodynamics), having the main goal to improve the efficiency of a vehicle by introducing active aerodynamics supported by innovative actuation systems. The work focuses on the development of a new aesthetic Active Grille Shutter (AGS), which, differently from the currently marketed vehicles, does not include the presence of a grille in front of it. In addition, an innovative actuation system, based on the adoption of Shape Memory Alloys (SMA) is being investigated for the new AGS, with the main goal to exploit the advantages arising in terms of increased efficiency coupled with a marked weigh reduction. The proposed analysis aims, at first, at evaluating the effects of different AGS configurations on the drag coefficient, Cx, of the vehicle and on the related benefits. To this purpose, simulations of the whole vehicle are carried out to estimate the Cx in different AGS configurations and a simple AGS opening/closing strategy is adopted for the estimation of CO2 reduction over a Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP) cycle. Subsequently, for the design of the SMA-based actuation system, the estimation of the aerodynamic loads on the fins of the AGS and of the actuation forces is needed. Owing to the unavailability of experimental tests on the whole vehicle, an experimental/numerical study on the isolated component is carried out. A 1:1 model of the new aesthetic AGS is tested in a wind tunnel and data are used to validate a CFD model of the component. The aerodynamic loads on each fin of the AGS for different speeds are then computed and adopted in the numerical tool COMSOL Multiphysics for the design of the SMA based actuation system.
CitationPerrone, D., Rodinò, S., Curcio, E., Castiglione, T. et al., "Numerical and Experimental Characterization of Active Grille Shutter Loads for Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2022-37-0022, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-37-0022.
- Fraser , N. , Blaxill , H. , Lumsden , G. , and Bassett , M. Challenges for Increased Efficiency through Gasoline Engine Downsizing SAE Int. J. Eng . 2 2009 991 1008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1053
- Bishop , J. , Martin , N. , and Boies , A. Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Powertrains for Reduced Energy Use and CO 2 Emissions in Passenger Vehicles Appl Energy 124 2014 44 61
- Lisbona , M.G. Propulsion System for Future Mobility FCA View Plenary Lectures, ICE2019, 14th International Conference on Engines and Vehicles Capri 2019
- Castiglione , T. , Morrone , P. Perrone D. , Bova , S. Application of a Model Based Controller for Improving Internal Combustion Engines Fuel Economy Energies 2020 13 5 1148
- El-Sharkawy , A.E. , Kamrad , J.C. , Lounsberry , T.H. , Baker , G.L. et al. Evaluation of Impact of Active Grille Shutter on Vehicle Thermal Management SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf . 4 1 2011 1244 1254 10.4271/2011-01-1172
- Bouilly , J. , Lafossas , F. , Mohammadi , A. , and Van Wissen , R. Evaluation of Fuel Economy Potential of an Active Grille Shutter by the Means of Model Based Development Including Vehicle Heat Management SAE Int. J. Engines 8 5 2015 2394 2401 10.4271/2015- 24-2536
- Wolf , T. Developing a Theory for Active Grille Shutter Aerodynamics—Part 1: Base Theory SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5063 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5063
- U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2021
- Deng , Z. , Yu , S. , Gao , W. , Yi , Q. et al. Review of Effects the Rear Spoiler Aerodynamic Analysis on Ground Vehicle Performance J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 1600 2020 012027 10.1088/1742-6596/1600/1/012027
- Larose , G. , Belluz , L. , Whittal , I. , Belzile , M. et al. Evaluation of the Aerodynamics of Drag Reduction Technologies for Light-duty Vehicles: A Comprehensive Wind Tunnel Study SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1613 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1613
- Wolf , T. The Aerodynamic Development of the New Porsche Cayenne Proc IMechE Part D: J Automobile Engineering 6 2019 10.1177/0954407019843004
- Pfeiffer , C. Evolution of Active Grille Shutters SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0633 2014 10.4271/2014-01- 0633
- Jani , J.M. , Leary , M. , and Subic , A. Shape Memory Alloys in Automotive Applications Appl. Mech. Mater. 663 2014 248 253 https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.663.248
- Bil , C. , Massey , K. , and Abdullah , E.J. Wing Morphing Control with Shape Memory Alloy Actuators J. Intell. Mater. Syst.Struct . 24 7 2013 879 898 https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X12471866
- Adamiak , B. , Puchalka , B. , Woodburn , J. , Szczotka , A. et al. An Analysis of Emissions at Low Ambient Temperature from Diesel Passenger Cars Using the WLTP Test Procedure SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2186 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2186