This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crashworthiness analysis of a corkscrew rollover event
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 10, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE BRASIL 2022 Congress
The objective of this work is to capture the final deformed shape of a vehicle after a rollover caused by a corkscrew event (ramp). With this study, it will be possible to understand the vehicle structural behavior during this event and be able to improve the vehicle safety in this specific condition. For this proposal, it will be presented a virtual methodology using available commercial CAE tools and perform a crashworthiness analysis of the desired event.
The first step is to capture the dynamic event through a Multibody analysis that represents the interaction among the vehicle tire, suspension components (Springs, Dampers, Jounce Bumper, Bushings, Stabilizer Bar etc.), vehicle structural stiffness, mass, center of gravity and inertias when exposed to a corkscrew standard ramp, that initiates the rollover event. This methodology will represent with fidelity all dynamic aspects of rollover event before the vehicle touches the ground. At this point, comparison of the analysis velocities output with experimental data can be achieved.
After this step, a second non-linear structural analysis in the time domain, will be performed with the vehicle positioned, with all 6 DOF matrix velocities inputted from the Multibody analysis output, at the instant of time before touching the ground. Thus, it will be possible to capture the structural behavior and deformation when the vehicle hits the ground and rolls by itself. The final structure deformed shape will be compared with physical tests results.
CitationTedim Terra, R., Santiago, K., Santos, A., Sobral Genaro, P. et al., "Crashworthiness analysis of a corkscrew rollover event," SAE Technical Paper 2022-36-0018, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-36-0018.
- Surface Vehicle Information Report Rollover Testing Methods - J2926 SAE International Warrendale 2021
- Interstate Council for Standardization Metrology and Certification (ISC), "Test methods in respect to automatic triggering of in-vehicle emergency call device/system in the event of vehicle rollover - GOST 34003," Standartinform Moscow 2016
- R. T. Terra , R. S. Barbosa and A. C. Botosso Inclusion of the displacement variable on the damper modeling in multibody environment SAE Technical Paper Series 1 6 2015
- R. T. Terra , R. P. Gonçalves and V. C. Roccella Chassis tuning influence in vehicle durability loads SAE Technical Paper Series September 2018
- F. K. Effects of Buckling on intrusion velocity behavior Sixth European Conference on Structural Dynamics Paris 2005
- Safety Test Instrumentation Standards Committee J211 - Surface Recommended Practice - Instrumentation for Impact Test SAE International Warrendale 2014
- A. C. Botosso Avaliação do efeito da rigidez estrutural sobre a dinâmica veicular, São Paulo: Dissertação (Mestrado em Engenharia de Controle e Automação Mecânica) - Escola Politécnica Universidade de São Paulo 2015
- J. e. a. Hu Development of a Finite Element model for simulation of rollover crashes - 44083 ASME IMECE 2007