This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement of SCR Thermal Management System and Emissions Reduction through Combustion Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 23, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Achieving higher emission norms involves various techniques and it has always been a challenging task on meeting the same. Improving the exhaust temperature is indispensable in order to enhance better conversion efficiency on the after-treatment systems. This paper clearly investigates on the various strategies involved to improve the exhaust temperatures of selective catalytic reduction and post injection strategies to meet the emission norms. On the basis of MIDC operation, key load points were selected and split injections with three pulses were implemented. The variation of both the post injection timing and quantity were performed in this paper in order to evaluate the optimum output. The effect of post injection timing and quantity variation on hydrocarbon emissions, carbon monoxide, diesel oxidation catalyst temperatures was observed on all load points. The above strategy was also evaluated on generating the pressure crank angle data. SCR efficiency improvement was investigated on increasing the exhaust temperatures with various techniques like idle speed increase, throttle valve activation and post injection implementation.
CitationAnbarasu, M. and Shangar Ramani, V., "Improvement of SCR Thermal Management System and Emissions Reduction through Combustion Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2022-28-0482, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-28-0482.
- De Cesare , M. , Stola , F. , Senni , C. , Di Monte , A. et al. Fuel Economy Optimization of Euro 6 Compliant Light Commercial Vehicles Equipped with SCR SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1356 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1356
- Abdul-Khalek , I. , Kittelson , D. , Graskow , B. , Wei , Q. et al. Diesel Exhaust Particle Size: Measurement Issues and Trends SAE Technical Paper 980525 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/980525
- Sharp , C. , Webb , C. , Yoon , S. , Carter , M. et al. Achieving Ultra Low NOX Emissions Levels with a 2017 Heavy-Duty On-Highway TC Diesel Engine - Comparison of Advanced Technology Approaches SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 2017 1722 1735 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0956
- Körfer , T. Potential of Advanced, Combined Aftertreatment Systems for Light-Duty Diesel Engines to Meet Upcoming EU and US Emission Regulation SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0163 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0163
- Kim , C. , Paratore , M. , Gonze , E. , Solbrig , C. et al. Electrically Heated Catalysts for Cold-Start Emissions in Diesel Aftertreatment SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1092 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1092
- Cavina , N. , Mancini , G. , Corti , E. , Moro , D. et al. Thermal Management Strategies for SCR after Treatment Systems SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0153 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0153
- Giftson , J. , Muthusamy , A. , Ramani , V.S. , Bhachchu , G. et al. Evaluation and Selection of Turbocharger Meeting BS6 Emission Norms for 1.99l Engine SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0058 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0058
- Shangar Ramani , V. , Bhachchu , G. , and Muthusamy , A. Reduction of Emissions and Noise Variations by Adjustment of Fuel Injection Quantity SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0002 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0002
- Shangar Ramani , V. , Muthusamy , A. , Bahl , S. , Ramanathan , H. et al. Comparative Studies of Different VGT Designs on Performance and Smoke of CRDe Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0074 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0074
- Shangar Ramani , V. , Muthusamy , A. , and Bhachchu , G. Reduction of Diesel Engine Combustion Noise through Various Injection Strategies SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0211 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0211
- Pundir , B.P. Engine Emissions- Fundamentals and Advances in Control 2nd Narosa Publications 2007
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill 1988