This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Hybrid Sensor-Fusion System to Locate the Electric Gridlines by UAV for Range Extension in Urban Areas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 26, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: AeroCON 2022
This paper explores the efficacy and efficiency of a system for the effective location of electric gridlines during daytime and night-time by the onboard and offboard transceivers of UAV through vehicle to infrastructure communication.
The usage of electric gridlines in urban areas helps to extend the range of the UAVs by charging the onboard battery using an extended arm. The same arm can also be used for direct propulsion of the motors onboard UAV, thereby minimizing the reliance on battery.
UAVs with advanced Image processing algorithms are utilized in the inspection of the electric grid lines themselves in the Power industry. The camera based algorithms are not effective during night-time when the gridlines are near invisible. This can be mitigated by evaluating light in other spectral ranges, but this would add to the load of the UAV.
We propose a system which combines multiple information sources and helps locate the gridlines for range extension, specifically for the delivery of packages in the Urban Mobility domain. The system utilizes annotated maps for locating any electric grid lines in the vicinity. The finer control needed for placing the extension arm on live electric wire is done using a set of three radio transceivers installed on an electric pole and a double or triple transceiver configuration onboard UAV which locates the live-wire through deductive analysis of sensor data. The trajectory planning subsystem can utilize this information for establishing an efficient route and make multiple deliveries.
CitationPappala, L., Enagandula, S., and Manoharan, S., "A Hybrid Sensor-Fusion System to Locate the Electric Gridlines by UAV for Range Extension in Urban Areas," SAE Technical Paper 2022-26-0007, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-26-0007.
- Chan , C.W. and Kam , T.Y. A Procedure for Power Consumption Estimation of Multi-Rotor Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Journal of Physics: Conference Series 2019 012015 10.1088/1742-6596/1509/1/012015
- Du , J. , Diouris , J.-F. , and Wang , Y. A RSSI-Based Parameter Tracking Strategy for Constrained Position Localization EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2017 10.1186/s13634-017-0512-x
- Junaid , A.B. , Konoiko , A. , Yahya , Z. , Necip Sahinkaya , M. et al. Autonomous Wireless Self-Charging for Multi-Rotor Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Energies 10 6 2017 803 https://doi.org/10.3390/en10060803
- Kajioka , S. , Mori , T. , Uchiya , T. , Takumi , I . et al. Experiment of Indoor Position Presumption Based on RSSI of Bluetooth LE beacon IEEE 3rd Global Conference on Consumer Electronics (GCCE) 2014 337 339 10.1109/GCCE.2014.7031308
- Miao , Y. , Wu , H. , and Zhang , L. 2018 The Accurate Location Estimation of Sensor Node using Received Signal Strength Measurements in Large-Scale Farmland Journal of Sensors , 10 2018 https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2325863
- Mukhopadhyay , B. , Sarangi , S. , and Kar , S. Performance Evaluation of Localization Techniques in Wireless Sensor Networks using RSSI and LQI Twenty First National Conference on Communications (NCC) 2015 1 6 10.1109/NCC.2015.7084867
- Ng , J.K.-Y. , Lam , K.-Y. , Cheng , Q.J. , and Shum , K.C.Y. An Effective Signal Strength-Based Wireless Location Estimation System for Tracking Indoor Mobile Users Journal of Computer and System Sciences 79 7 2013 1005 1016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcss.2013.01.016
- Oettershagen , P. , Melzer , A. , Mantel , T. , Rudin , K. et al. Perpetual Flight with a Small Solar-Powered UAV: Flight Results, Performance Analysis and Model Validation IEEE Aerospace Conference 2016 1 8 10.1109/AERO.2016.7500855
- Saxena , M. , Gupta , P. , and Jain , B.N. Experimental Analysis of RSSI-Based Location Estimation in Wireless Sensor Networks 3rd International Conference on Communication Systems Software and Middleware and Workshops (COMSWARE '08) 2008 503 510 10.1109/COMSWA.2008.4554465
- Toksoz , T. , Redding , J. , Michini , M. , Michini , B. et al. 2011 Infotech@Aerospace, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2011-1405
- Trotta , A. , Di Felice , M. , Montori , F. , and Chowdhury , K.R. Joint Coverage, Connectivity, and Charging Strategies for Distributed UAV Networks IEEE Transactions on Robotics (IEEE) 2018 883 900
- Zàruba , G.V. , Huber , M. , Kamangar , F.A. , and Chlamtac , I. Indoor Location Tracking using RSSI Readings from a Single Wi-Fi Access Point Wireless Netw 13 2007 221 235 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-006-5064-1