This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy and Fuel Consumption Minimization for a Plug-In Fuel Cell Electric Cargo Handling Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The port-logistic sector has a crucial role in goods transport, as the 85-90% of international trade is achieved by means of maritime routes. The latest reports from the International Maritime Organization show that the port-logistic related activities are an important source of air pollution, both for the use of large auxiliary power systems on ships, which operate during port stays, as well as for the employment of fossil fueled road vehicles for on-site operations. As a matter of fact, the most important maritime facilities are located nearby urban areas and therefore reduction of the environmental impact in ports becomes of primary importance. Thus, in the pursuit of a greener in-port mobility, a progressive replacement of fossil fuels with cleaner alternatives must be promoted.
This paper presents the analysis of the performance of a hydrogenfueled plug-in fuel cell/battery hybrid vehicle for cargo-handling in roll-on and roll-off port operations. The powertrain of the proposed vehicle has been designed by the authors in a previous work, based on experimental data acquired during in-port operations for the fossil fuel powered counterpart. An optimized energy management strategy, based on the application of the Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle, is used to assess the maximum energy and hydrogen savings that can be attained with such a powertrain. Results are obtained over different mission profiles, in terms of driving and duty cycles, in order to represent typical port operations and ensure the accomplishment of the defined target missions. Outputs from this study set the basis for the design of an optimization-based real time energy management strategy, to maximize the potential of such vehicles in the view of the replacement of the conventional vehicles for in-port operations.
CitationLombardi, S., Tribioli, L., Di Ilio, G., Di Giorgio, P. et al., "Energy and Fuel Consumption Minimization for a Plug-In Fuel Cell Electric Cargo Handling Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2022-24-0010, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-24-0010.
- Nicolae , F. , Roman , I. , and Cotorcea , A. Air Pollution from the Maritime Transport in the Romanian Black Sea Coast Cercetăƒri Marine-Recherches Marines 47 1 2017 260 266 10.55268/CM.2017.47.260
- Faber , J. , Hanayam , S. , Zhang , S. , Pereda , P. , et al. 2021
- Balcombe , P. , Brierley , J. , Lewis , C. , Skatvedt , L. et al. How to Decarbonise International Shipping: Options for Fuels, Technologies and Policies Energy Conversion and Management 182 2019 72 88 10.1016/j.enconman.2018.12.080
- Lombardi , S. , Tribioli , L. , Guandalini , G. , and Iora , P. Energy Performance and Well-to-Wheel Analysis of Different Powertrain Solutions for Freight Transportation International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 45 2020 12535 12554 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2020.02.181
- Di Trolio , P. , Di Giorgio , P. , Genovese , M. , Frasci , E. et al. A Hybrid Power-Unit Based on a Passive Fuel Cell/Battery System for Lightweight Vehicles Applied Energy 279 2020 115734 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.115734
- Di Ilio , G. , Di Giorgio , P. , Tribioli , L. , Cigolotti , V. et al. Assessment of a Hydrogen-Fueled Heavy-Duty Yard Truck for Roll-On and Roll-Off Port Operations SAE Technical Paper 2021-24-0109 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-24-0109
- Tribioli , L. , Cozzolino , R. , Chiappini , D. , and Iora , P. Energy Management of a Plug-In Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Vehicle with On-Board Fuel Processing Applied Energy 184 2016 140 154 10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.10.015
- Kim , N. , Ha , S. , Jeong , J. , and Cha , S.W. Sufficient Conditions for Optimal Energy Management Strategies of Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Vehicles Based on Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 230 2 2016 202 214 10.1177/0954407015583408
- Di Ilio , G. , Di Giorgio , P. , Tribioli , L. , Bella , G. et al. Preliminary Design of a Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Powertrain for a Heavy-Duty Yard Truck for Port Logistics Energy Conversion and Management 243 2021 114423 10.1016/j.enconman.2021.114423
- Ballard Power Systems 2021 http://www.ballard.comwww.ballard.com
- Pettersson , P. , Jacobson , B. , Bruzelius , F. , Johannesson , P. et al. Intrinsic Differences between Backward and Forward Vehicle Simulation Models IFAC-PapersOnLine 53 2 2020 14292 14299 10.1016/j.ifacol.2020.12.1368
- Sciarretta , A. and Guzzella , L. Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Control Systems Magazine 27 2 2007 60 70 10.1109/MCS.2007.338280
- Serrao , L. , Onori , S. , and Rizzoni , G. A Comparative Analysis of Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 133 3 2011 10.1115/1.4003267
- Wong , J.Y. Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley & Sons 2008
- Plett , G.L. Sigma-Point Kalman Filtering for Battery Management Systems of LiPB-based HEV Battery Packs Part 2: Simultaneous State and Parameter Estimation Journal of Power Sources 161 2 2006 1369 1384 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.06.004
- Lee , S. , Cherry , J. , Safoutin , M. , McDonald , J. et al. Modeling and Validation of 48V Mild Hybrid Lithium-Ion Battery Pack SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 7 3 2018 273 287 10.4271/2018-01-0433
- Ettihir , K. , Boulon , L. , and Agbossou , K. Optimization-Based Energy Management Strategy for a Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Power System Applied Energy 163 2016 142 153 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.10.176
- Geng , B. , Mills , J.K. , and Sun , D. Two-Stage Energy Management Control of Fuel Cell Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles Considering Fuel Cell Longevity IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 61 2 2012 498 508 10.1109/TVT.2011.2177483
- Onori , S. and Tribioli , L. Adaptive Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle supervisory controller design for the plug-in hybrid GM Chevrolet Volt Applied Energy 147 2015 224 234 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.01.021
- Lacandia , F. , Tribioli , L. , Onori , S. , and Rizzoni , G. Adaptive Energy Management Strategy Calibration in PHEVs Based on a Sensitivity Study SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains 2 3 2013 443 455 10.4271/2013-24-0074
- Tribioli , L. , Cozzolino , R. , and Barbieri , M. Optimal Control of a Repowered Vehicle: Plug-In Fuel Cell Against Plug-In Hybrid Electric Powertrain AIP Conference Proceedings 1648 2015 American Insitute of Physics 10.1063/1.4912800
- Geering , H. Optimal Control with Engineering Applications Springer 2007