This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Powertrain Analysis and Optimized Power Follower Control Strategy in a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 14, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, hybrid electric vehicle(HEV) is an important direction for automobile development and transformation. The series hybrid electric vehicle(SHEV) has great application prospects because of its simple structure and principle. After analyzing the main energy sources of SHEV, this paper proposes an improved energy control strategy, optimized power follower control strategy(OPFCS). This article analyzes the efficiency of the engine and the generator as a whole and obtains the engine operating curve. In addition, analysis of battery energy loss and life loss characteristics are carried out. Then, this paper takes the above analysis results into consideration in the design of the strategy. This strategy is based on the analysis of the thermostat control strategy (TCS) and power follower control strategy (PFCS) design methods. It also has the characteristics of simple rules and strong practical applicability. The development of the proposed strategy is based on AVL Cruise and Simulink co-simulation. In simulation, this paper compares the performance of the three strategies in different aspects such as power profiles, SOC change, fuel economy and battery aging loss. The simulation results show that the OPFCS not only ensures fuel economy, but also reduces the energy loss and life loss of the battery pack as much as possible.
CitationWang, Z., Shaopeng, T., and Yang, Q., "Powertrain Analysis and Optimized Power Follower Control Strategy in a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-7003, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-7003.
- Bayindir , K.Ç. , Gözüküçük , M.A. , and Teke , A. A Comprehensive Overview of Hybrid Electric Vehicle: Powertrain Configurations, Powertrain Control Techniques and Electronic Control Units Energy Convers. Manage 52 2 2011 1305 1313 10.1016/j.enconman.2010.09.028
- Salmasi , F. Control Strategies for Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Evolution, Classification, Comparison, and Future Trends IEEE Trans Veh Technol 56 5 2007 2393 2404 10.1109/TVT.2007.899933
- He , X. , Parten , M. , and Maxwell , T. Energy Management Strategies for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Vehicle power and propulsion conference (VPPC) 390 4 2005
- Li , S.G. , Sharkh , S.M. , Walsh , F.C. et al. Energy and Battery Management of a Plug-in Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle Using Fuzzy Logic IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 60 8 2011 3571 3585 10.1109/TVT.2011.2165571
- Chen , Z. , Xiong , R. , Wang , K. et al. Optimal Energy Management Strategy of a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Based on a Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Energies 8 5 2015 3661 3678 10.3390/en8053661
- Shabbir , W. and Evangelou , S.A. Real-Time Control Strategy to Maximize Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrain Efficiency Applied Energy 135 2014 512 522 10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.08.083
- Patil , R.M. , Filipi , Z. , and Fathy , H.K. Comparison of Supervisory Control Strategies for Series Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrains through Dynamic Programming IEEE Trans Control Syst Technol 22 2 2014 502 509 10.1109/TCST.2013.2257778
- Lin , C.-C. , Peng , H. , Grizzle , J.W. , and Kang , J.-M. Power Management Strategy for a Parallel Hybrid Electric Truck IEEE Trans Control Syst Technol 11 6 2003 839 849
- Sciarretta , A. and Guzzella , L. Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Trans Control Syst Technol 27 2 2007 60 70
- Shabbir , W. and Evangelou , S.A. Exclusive Operation Strategy for the Supervisory Control of Series Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 24 6 2016 2190 2198 10.1109/TCST.2016.2520904
- Zhang , X. , Mi , C.C. , and Yin , C. Active-Charging Based Powertrain Control in Series Hybrid Electric Vehicles for Efficiency Improvement and Battery Lifetime Extension Journal of Power Sources 245 2014 292 300 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.06.117
- Shen , P. , Zhao , Z. , Zhan , X. et al. Optimal Energy Management Strategy for a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Commercial Vehicle Based on Velocity Prediction Energy 155 2018 838 852 10.1016/j.energy.2018.05.064
- Kim , M. , Jung , D. , and Min , K. Hybrid Thermostat Strategy for Enhancing Fuel Economy of Series Hybrid Intracity Bus IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 63 8 2014 3569 3579 10.1109/TVT.2013.2290700
- Tang , L. , Rizzoni , G. , and Onori , S. Energy Management Strategy for HEVs Including Battery Life Optimization IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 1 3 2015 211 222 10.1109/TTE.2015.2471180
- Ebbesen , S. Elbert , P. and Guzzella , L. Battery State-of-Health Perceptive Energy Management for Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 61 7 2893 2900 2012 10.1109/TVT.2012.2203836
- Shabbir , W. and Evangelou , S.A. Threshold-Changing Control Strategy for Series Hybrid Electric Vehicles Applied Energy 235 2019 761 775 10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.11.003
- Ko , Y. , Lee , J. , and Lee , H. A Supervisory Control Algorithm for a Series Hybrid Vehicle with Multiple Energy Sources IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 64 11 2015 4942 4953 10.1109/TVT.2015.2445872